Mycobacterium Marinum - Share Your Experience

Did you contract a Mycobacterium marinum infection after swimming? Please share your experience.

How common is Mycobacterium marinum?

Although rare, infections can occur worldwide, most commonly in individuals with occupational and recreational exposure to fresh or saltwater. In the United States, infections caused by M. marinum are rare. The infection is very rare in children and is typically a disease of adults.

Return to Mycobacterium Marinum

Comment from: jgladst, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I caught this mycobacterium marinum infection 4 years ago from fishing. I had 6 weeks of IV therapy, every day and a year of oral antibiotics. It was misdiagnosed by many doctors. I never went fishing again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've been suffering with very sore hands, mainly in the thumb area for the last three years. I've been researching like crazy. I am not sure that I have this infection but a lot of the listed factors do add up. Three years ago, I developed a rash on top of both hands where the thumb and fore finger meet. I previously filed the nails on my dog and ran the edges on my hands to make sure that they were nicely smooth so as to prevent scratching. I didn't think much of it then. I also have a large above ground swimming pool. We also spend time at a local lake with our boat. We sometimes swim in the lake. I had the same itchy rash for two years. This last summer and fall I had no rash, but instead I had severe pain in my hands in the same exact area that the rash was in the previous two years. This all seems weird but at the same time, highly likely that it could be this mycobacterium marinum. I have not been diagnosed. The pain is very debilitating.