Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

What are colon polyps?

Colon polyps are growths that occur on the inner lining of the large intestine (colon) and usually protrude into the colon. Polyps form when the genetic material within the cells lining the colon changes and becomes abnormal (mutates). Normally, the immature cells lining the colon are programmed to divide (multiply), mature, and then die in a very consistent and timely fashion. However, the genetic changes that occur in the lining cells prevents the cells from maturing, and the cells do not die. This leads to an accumulation of immature, genetically abnormal cells, which eventually results in the formation of polyps. The mutations may occur as a sporadic event after birth or they may be present from before birth.

Return to Colon Polyps

Comment from: Lynne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had colon cancer and surgery. I had no risk factors prior to the discovery of cancer. No cancer in my family and I had no indications that I had cancer; no pain or other signs, except low blood count.

Comment from: Karthik, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first colonoscopy and three adenomatous polyps (tubular adenomas) around 5 mm were removed at age 38. My father was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 76. The cancer was metastasized to only one of the lymph nodes and he had a small part of the colon removed. He is perfectly healthy now and has been cancer free for the past three years. Now I seriously wonder why almost all of the articles and the doctors say we should start screening with a colonoscopy 10 years before the age at which your first degree relative was diagnosed.