Colon Polyps - Describe Your Experience

Did you have any of the risk factors for colon polyps at the time of your diagnosis? If so, what were they?

What are colon polyps?

Colon polyps are growths that occur on the inner lining of the large intestine (colon) and protrude into the colon. They can vary in size from a few millimeters to several centimeters. Polyps form when the genetic material within cells lining the colon changes and becomes abnormal (mutates). Normally, the immature cells lining the colon are programmed to divide (multiply), mature, and then die in a very consistent and timely fashion. However, the genetic changes that occur in the lining cells prevents the cells from maturing, and the cells do not die. This leads to an accumulation of immature, genetically abnormal cells, which eventually results in the formation of polyps. The mutations may occur as a sporadic event after birth or they may be present from before birth.

Return to Colon Polyps

Comment from: heusdenssi30, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

My mother died at 50 of colon cancer. My father's mother died around 70, of colon cancer. I have been screened twice, at 40 and 43; I had 5 colon polyps the first time. The second time, I had 3 colon polyps. None of the polyps where cancerous! I am almost 46 going to my third screen consulting to have this done again. I hope it will be good news again.

Comment from: MaMa Kim 65, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have a strong family history of colon cancer and polyps. I have a colonoscopy every 2 years. I usually have 5 maybe 6 polyps. This time I had 40; they"re very small and my doctor removed almost half of them. Waiting on the biopsy results. I'm wondering if I will have to have my colon removed. My mom had hers removed several years ago. She had between 50 and 100 polyps. Her dad, younger sister both died of colon cancer before they were 60, also my great uncle passed around the same age of colon cancer.