Meralgia Paresthetica - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your meralgia paresthetica?

What is the treatment for meralgia paresthetica?

The treatment of meralgia paresthetica usually involves addressing the underlying cause. Meralgia paresthetica can also be treated by local cortisone injection at the point where the nerve crosses the crease in the groin. Medications commonly utilized in the treatment of neuropathic pain, such as gabapentin, may be used. Infrequently, surgical release of the nerve is necessary.

Return to Meralgia Paresthetica

Comment from: J, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I went outside to begin the spring cleanup in my garden. I could tell how out of shape I am, but thought I would get stronger each time I work. When I came in, I felt as though both of my big toes were separated from my feet. Then I experienced pain in the center of the ball of my right foot with pain in the right outside back of my right leg. It scared me. I wondered if I was having a stroke. I have been experiencing severe pain in the front left area of my pelvis, near my groin. I had no reason to think they went together. I do have stenosis of the spine, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, have had lower back surgery, and my tailbone is cracked. I have degenerating disks as well.

Comment from: David, Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had thyroid surgery. The next day I noticed numbness in my right thigh. I told my surgeon and he said he hasn't heard of any such thing. I have sense be diagnosed with Meralgia paresthetica. I was wondering if this could have happened as a result of being strapped down for surgery? Or any thing else could have caused this during surgery. Has any one had a similar instance?