Meralgia Paresthetica - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your meralgia paresthetica?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for meralgia paresthetica?

The treatment of meralgia paresthetica usually involves addressing the underlying cause. Meralgia paresthetica can also be treated by local cortisone injection at the point where the nerve crosses the crease in the groin. Medications commonly utilized in the treatment of neuropathic pain, such as gabapentin, may be used. Infrequently, surgical release of the nerve is necessary.

Return to Meralgia Paresthetica

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had pain for over eleven years. The meralgia paresthetica started as a sharp electric like pain on my right leg, near the ankle. I have been on medication using gabapentin. I've done physiotherapy, no relief, MRI scans done, everything normal, but I am still in pain. Right now I am experiencing a lot of burning sensation on my outer thigh, right side and on the buttocks when I sit. I was injected with steroids 3 weeks ago but pain still there when I sit and stand for long.

Comment from: pharlie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had Graves' disease. I miscarried and my thyroid went into remission around the same time (was on anti-thyroid medications and went slightly hypo briefly before this started), but had meralgia paresthetica in my right thigh, but I also had a similar feeling in my right cheek. Both were severely, severely numb for two years! Deep tissue massage finally helped break down the resulting scar tissue and I regained feeling in those two areas.