Hypoparathyroidism - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including supplements or medication, have you received for hypoparathyroidism?

How is hypoparathyroidism treated?

The goal of treatment for hypoparathyroidism is to restore the body's calcium and phosphorus to normal levels. Calcium carbonate and vitamin D supplements are the only currently approved treatment. However, NIH studies have shown the investigational drug PTH to work well as an alternative therapy.

If hypoparathyroidism is diagnosed and treated early, outcomes are usual good and the body grows normally.

If hypoparathyroidism is left untreated, complications can include a blocked airway due to severe muscle spasms, stunted growth, malformed teeth, development of cataracts, and calcium deposits in the brain.

Return to Hypoparathyroidism

Comment from: Jenster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have lived with hypoparathyroidism for years. I never knew what it was for years, but I would get cramping in hands so bad where I couldn't hold anything, and it was so painful. They were almost clawed, but it got really bad when I went out for New Year's one year and had way too many bubblies and the next day was brutal. My hands not only cramped but my face cramped including my mouth and feet; worse episode I had ever had. So I got to realize stress and alcohol were triggers to the symptoms, I have seen a doctor and specialist, I was on 3 calcium tablets a day with vitamin D and still calcium is at 1.7! Normal calcium is above 2.1 so now I have started a prescription for active vitamin D and 1950 ml of calcium. The next doctor's appointment is on December 17th, with blood work. Hopefully it will be at a normal level by then as we are trying to have a baby through IVF (in vitro fertilization) and I need at least normal calcium levels.