Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Rupture

Do you have a friend or relative who had a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm? Please share your experience.

What is done if an abdominal aortic aneurysm threatens to rupture?

Threatened rupture of abdominal aneurysms is a surgical emergency. Once an aneurysm ruptures, 50% of patients die before their reach the hospital. The longer it takes to get to the operating room, the higher the mortality.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: Brenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

My sister age 59, had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that ruptured. She went to the hospital because her legs and stomach hurt. She just had a feeling something was really wrong. Emergency room (ER) took x-ray, the technologist found the aneurysm, and ran to the doctor in ER. They called a hospital, and hospital had her life-line in. She arrived, they did surgery and she recovered. Doctor said a piece of plaque broke off and stopped the bleeding (she was bleeding out). Doctors said she was the only patient they have ever had that was that bad and survived. Things did not end well though. During all this they found she had stage 4 lung cancer. She died a year and a half later. Since her death, I found out by accident I now have an aneurysm. I went for back x-rays when mine was found. My siblings have been going to get tested. I have another sister with a 5.0 aneurysm, surgery went fine. I now have a brother with a 3.0. I go back in 2 weeks for another ultra-sound to see how much bigger mine has gotten. Aneurysms are very scary, but very treatable.

Comment from: kitkat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My brother died last year of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I did not know it is hereditary and 2 months ago I had one that ruptured. I am very lucky that I am alive today. The doctor put 2 stents in my groin. Doctor also said my children should be checked when they reach 55, also my other siblings need to be checked. My symptoms were extreme pain in lower back and dizziness.