Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm - Surgery Experience

Did you or a relative have surgery for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? What was the outcome?

How are abdominal aortic aneurysms repaired?

Each patient is different and the decision to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm depends upon the size of the aneurysm, the age of the patient, underlying medical conditions, and life expectancy.

There are two approaches for repair:

The first is the traditional surgical approach. A large incision is made in the abdomen, the aortic aneurysm is identified and cut out or resected. The missing piece of aorta is replaced with a synthetic graft.

The second approach is placing an endovascular graft. A catheter or tube is threaded into the femoral artery in the groin and the graft is positioned so that it spans and sits inside the aneurysm and protects it from expanding (endovascular: endo = inside + vascular = blood vessel).

The approach to treatment needs to be tailored to the individual patient and very much depends upon the location, size, and shape of the aneurysm.

Picture of grafted stent to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Picture of grafted stent to repair an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: audrey, 65-74 (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My mother was operated on, as she had an abdominal aortic aneurysm. She died two days later. She was 70 years old. Now I have been told that my twin sister, who is 65, has had an ultrasound and she has an aneurysm on her abdominal aorta.

Comment from: IMJAZZED, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

They found my Aorta Aneurysm by accident. They watched it grow for three years and then put a stent in through my groin area. The operation lasted around 2 1/2 hrs. I spent 4 days in the hospital and 2 weeks recovering at home. It's been a month and a half and I feel great. I'm a 66 year old male.