Endocarditis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with endocarditis for you or someone you know?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of endocarditis?

Patients with endocarditis can develop:

• fever,
  • fatigue,
  • chills,
  • weakness
  • aching joints and muscles,
  • night sweats,
  • edema (fluid collection) in the leg(s), foot (feet), and abdomen,
  • malaise,
  • shortness of breath, and
  • occasionally, scattered small skin lesions.

In endocarditis, blood cultures can often detect the bacteria causing the endocarditis. Patients can also develop anemia, blood in urine, elevated white blood cell count, and a new heart murmur.

Return to Endocarditis

Comment from: Beverley, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My husband died of endocarditis last November. It came on quickly and he had no symptoms of this until the week before he died. It"s hard to diagnose and is very much like any other disease. If you start getting tired and coughing see a doctor.

Comment from: BarbaKay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

My symptoms of endocarditis were loss of appetite and weight loss; extreme fatigue; fevers every evening of 101 - 102; super soaker night sweats; majorly swollen ankles; 3-4 night trips to the restroom (water retention); shortness of breath - when I would "laugh" it came out as coughing. I went to the doctor. She took blood and found my blood count to be in the 7-8 range, where 15 is normal. Found my iron in the "normal" range. Found my sedimentation rate in the 90s, where 30 is normal. She said I had anemia of chronic disease and now we have to figure out which chronic disease it is! The infectious disease doctor figured it out. Endocarditis! Boom - to the hospital I went for 24/7 antibiotics. I had open heart surgery to repair the mitral valve. Moral of the story if you've ever had to take premedication antibiotics prior to a dentist appointment, and now don't because the Heart Association removed the mandate take them anyway and save yourself from open heart surgery - or death!