Endocarditis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with endocarditis for you or someone you know?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of endocarditis?

Patients with endocarditis can develop:

• fever,
  • fatigue,
  • chills,
  • weakness
  • aching joints and muscles,
  • night sweats,
  • edema (fluid collection) in the leg(s), foot (feet), and abdomen,
  • malaise,
  • shortness of breath, and
  • occasionally, scattered small skin lesions.

In endocarditis, blood cultures can often detect the bacteria causing the endocarditis. Patients can also develop anemia, blood in urine, elevated white blood cell count, and a new heart murmur.

Return to Endocarditis

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I had periodic episodes of night sweats and chills, swollen feet, and almost constant fatigue. I was misdiagnosed twice and put on prednisone, which did little or nothing to help the endocarditis symptoms I was having. But it was after I developed severe low back pain that landed me in the hospital where they finally did a blood culture and found the bacterial infection.

Comment from: Ratchet102, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I recently had endocarditis caused by strep viridans. I had mechanical heart valve replacement. My symptoms were fatigue, chills, joint pain, decreased urinary output, and eventually two strokes.