Fainting (Syncope) - Causes

What caused your fainting (syncope)?

What causes fainting (syncope)?

Decreased blood flow to the brain can occur because 1) the heart fails to pump the blood; 2) the blood vessels don't have enough tone to maintain blood pressure to deliver the blood to the brain; 3) there is not enough blood or fluid within the blood vessels; or 4) a combination of reasons one, two, or three above.

Return to Fainting (Syncope)

Comment from: blackclouds, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Today I went to this store and the lady was teaching me how to knit and I was sitting on this stool when I blacked out and the next thing I knew I was on the floor, I guess I blacked out for a few minutes. I hit the counter and got a bump on my forehead; they called 911 and I went to the hospital they took x-rays. Nothing is broken but I'm awful sore all over and know I will be back and blue tomorrow. They diagnosed syncope. I have a pace-maker and when they picked me up my heart was out of control, 180 over something. I also a stroke in 2010 and I'm type 2 diabetic. They did an EKG, CT scan and a bunch of tests on me and said to follow up with my regular doctor. I really didn't I was going to pass-out.

Comment from: headchef, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been experiencing fainting spells since 1995. I didn't get diagnosed with vasovagal syncope until this year. I have had every test for your heart they can do. My heart is fine and the 'oh, it just happens to some people' really isn't helpful. I also have nerve pain in my left leg that they cannot fix. I am really scared that I am going to pass out or faint while driving, this is scary and depressing.