Fainting (Syncope) - Causes

What caused your fainting (syncope)?

What causes fainting (syncope)?

Decreased blood flow to the brain can occur because 1) the heart fails to pump the blood; 2) the blood vessels don't have enough tone to maintain blood pressure to deliver the blood to the brain; 3) there is not enough blood or fluid within the blood vessels; or 4) a combination of reasons one, two, or three above.

Return to Fainting (Syncope)

Comment from: pachrisrobin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been having fainting spells since 1991. The more activity I was involved in, the more I would faint. During a tilt table test, the doctors finally found out what my fainting was caused from since I fainted during this test. I have syncope! I knew that I was about to faint and just said 'uh oh' to warn the nurse I was about to faint. My blood pressure dropped drastically but I did not learn on how low it got until today. The test was done on Tuesday and my blood pressure dropped to 50/10. Now I am taking medications to help slow down the frequency of my fainting due to an electrical issue to my heart.

Comment from: jen1302, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

For me syncope began with sight of blood and now I can faint having stitches removed or even having an operation awake and hospitals don't know. A general physician told my parents when I was 3 years old that I would grow out of it and still black out now and then. Hospital believes I have fractures or chips in skull and was told I was being sent to scan to look into that, but was never referred to; that was 15 years ago.