Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.

Please select the black square:

Who gets Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?

Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome can affect all ages but is usually diagnosed in children, adolescents, and young adults. Except in rare circumstances, Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is not a hereditary condition.

Return to Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome

Comment from: Grandma, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 14

My grandson was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW) in the uterus and he was induced at five weeks early. We have just found out that his dad's first cousin also has WPW so I am skeptical when they say it is not hereditary, as we have been told that it is. He is now 20 months old and like I said he formed and was born with it. He has just been changed to flecainide.

Comment from: Dobe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

When I was about 45 years old, I had emergency gall bladder surgery. The day after my surgery while in the hospital my heart took off real fast, 265 beats a minute. My heart kept up that rate for 2 hours, when they finally got a doctor there and used the heart shock paddles to finally get it back to normal rhythm. They kept me in the hospital for a week, just to monitor my heart. I stayed home for a couple weeks, then they sent me to a larger hospital. After a week there, they figured I had Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome. Evan today it's rare to find someone that knows what WPW syndrome is. When I played sports in school I knew something was wrong, because my heart would race, every now and then. I have only had one relapse in the last 20+ years. When I was in the larger hospital they put a wire up into my heart, and they burned part of the tissue. After my heart raced at 265 per minute, the nurses looked at me the next day, all of them said I should not be there, nobody lives after that happens; just was not my time.