Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Please share the events that led to a diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.

Who gets Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome?

Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome can affect all ages but is usually diagnosed in children, adolescents, and young adults. Except in rare circumstances, Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is not a hereditary condition.

Return to Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome

Comment from: Dobe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

When I was about 45 years old, I had emergency gall bladder surgery. The day after my surgery while in the hospital my heart took off real fast, 265 beats a minute. My heart kept up that rate for 2 hours, when they finally got a doctor there and used the heart shock paddles to finally get it back to normal rhythm. They kept me in the hospital for a week, just to monitor my heart. I stayed home for a couple weeks, then they sent me to a larger hospital. After a week there, they figured I had Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome. Evan today it's rare to find someone that knows what WPW syndrome is. When I played sports in school I knew something was wrong, because my heart would race, every now and then. I have only had one relapse in the last 20+ years. When I was in the larger hospital they put a wire up into my heart, and they burned part of the tissue. After my heart raced at 265 per minute, the nurses looked at me the next day, all of them said I should not be there, nobody lives after that happens; just was not my time.

Comment from: patol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I consulted my general physician (GP) many times after feeling very ill with rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure (BP). I had also passed out twice while at a hospital appointment. Both times I was sent home when the symptoms subsided. I was diagnosed with anxiety and palpitations. At 69 I felt as though I was being treated as a silly old woman. Eventually, having had a pre operational assessment at another hospital it was found that I had Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome. My GP still ignored it and I had to pay for a consultant. I was then put on a long waiting list and eventually was treated having been taken ill whilst out shopping. I had an ablation having waited 3 weeks in hospital and then developed stroke like symptoms. I have not really been the same since and still suffer from High BP with slight WPW symptoms on occasions.