Takayasu Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Takayasu disease?

Please select the black square:

What are symptoms of Takayasu disease?

The inflammation of the aorta and its branch arteries can lead to poor blood supply to tissues of the body in patients with Takayasu disease. This can cause painful, cool, or blanched extremities, dizziness, headaches, chest pain, and abdominal pain. Other symptoms can include fatigue, weight loss, and low-grade fever.

Return to Takayasu Disease

Comment from: Teresa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with Takayasu disease 18 years ago and told that I could only expect 5 to 10 years. I have had 8 lots of surgery. I was unaware that my eyes would be affected, although I have tears/holes in both retinas. Most of the time I have anemia, tiredness and random aches and pains, and now have developed atrial fibrillation (AF). I have never had treatment as such apart from the surgeries, although I am now taking warfarin and that seems to help stop the aneurysms being under pressure.

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I found out that I had Takayasu disease when I was 18 and tried to get into the service with friends from high school. I was turned down and had to go and have tests and an angiogram. After I got married at 21, I never had any problems until 2011, when I got bronchitis really bad, and then two months later a pain in the back moving to the front. I had an ultrasound and they said I had an aneurysm and told us to go to the county hospital 30 minutes away. We went in and spent about 5 hours and had tests and they could not find anything. I had another problem with severe neck pain about 4 months after that, then started having problems with breathing, and was diagnosed with asthma, which now we think was one of the symptoms of Takayasu. I will be talking to a vascular surgeon soon.