Takayasu Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Takayasu disease?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of Takayasu disease?

The inflammation of the aorta and its branch arteries can lead to poor blood supply to tissues of the body in patients with Takayasu disease. This can cause painful, cool, or blanched extremities, dizziness, headaches, chest pain, and abdominal pain. Other symptoms can include fatigue, weight loss, and low-grade fever.

Return to Takayasu Disease

Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I found out that I had Takayasu disease when I was 18 and tried to get into the service with friends from high school. I was turned down and had to go and have tests and an angiogram. After I got married at 21, I never had any problems until 2011, when I got bronchitis really bad, and then two months later a pain in the back moving to the front. I had an ultrasound and they said I had an aneurysm and told us to go to the county hospital 30 minutes away. We went in and spent about 5 hours and had tests and they could not find anything. I had another problem with severe neck pain about 4 months after that, then started having problems with breathing, and was diagnosed with asthma, which now we think was one of the symptoms of Takayasu. I will be talking to a vascular surgeon soon.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I am a 59 year old woman who this year was diagnosed with Takayasu arteritis. Over the last 4 years I have had bouts of extreme inflammation and pain in various parts of my body. In the last 12 months this has gotten worse along with Raynaud's syndrome, weight loss, strength and muscle loss, no pulse or blood pressure in arms, and blocked carotid arteries, plus high blood pressure. I went to various doctors who couldn't tell me what was wrong and just kept handing out pills. Then in August this year (2015) I saw a rheumatologist who listened to me and put it all together. I am so glad now I know what is wrong with me. This has been a huge life style change as I cannot work now from the side effects of the treatment as well as the disease. I am hoping to later on have surgery and get me back into the work force.