Prolactinoma - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including medication, were used for a pituitary tumor in you or someone you know?

Please select the black square:

How is a prolactinoma treated?

Prolactinomas are usually initially treated with medications.

Surgery is considered if the medications cannot be tolerated, or if they are not effective.

The medical treatment may be only partially successful. In such cases, the medications may be combined with surgery or radiation therapy.

Return to Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)

Comment from: Miracle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I stopped having periods when I was about 19 years old. I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. I was prescribed some hormones which would helped temporarily. When I was taking it my periods were regular, when I stopped, they also stopped. Then I came to US. Here I finally was diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. It was 20 years ago. Then the tumor was more than a 1 cm large. I was prescribed bromocriptine. I hardly tolerated it, but it worked. The tumor shrank almost in half. My periods came back to normal. Also my weight came back to normal. I was pretty overweight before. I got pregnant and stopped taking pills. I breast fed for 5 months. The tumor started growing again. I went back to Dostinex and the tumor shrank again. After 2 years I got pregnant again. Two weeks before the due date my I started experiencing blurry vision and had an MRI done. The tumor was more than 2 cm. I started Dostinex immediately. I gave birth to a healthy baby, but couldn"t breast feed. Two weeks after C-section, I had my tumor removed. The surgery was very successful. But 8 years after the surgery I started having irregular periods. I went back to Dostinex for 2 years. My periods went back to normal, but prolactin level stayed high (65 - minimum). Now my periods are regular, prolactin is 165, have milk and tumor more than a cm. I am going back to see my endocrinologist next week.