Prolactinoma - Share Your Experience

Has prolactinoma affected you or your family? Please share your experience.

What problems are caused by a pituitary tumor?

Pituitary tumors may impair or cause an increase in the production of one or more pituitary hormones. The lesion itself can damage surrounding normal tissue and thereby reduce the function of the pituitary gland (a condition called hypopituitarism).

Enlargement of the pituitary gland can also cause local symptoms, such as headaches (because of increased pressure if the fluid system bathing the brain is blocked or stimulated), or visual disturbances (because of the proximity of the pituitary gland to the optic nerves).

Return to Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)

Comment from: Ann, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My son was diagnosed with a prolactinoma at age 22 after he developed hypogonadism and felt constantly tired and irritable. His was a microprolactinoma, but despite the small size, it was having a profound effect on his hormonal balance. He is doing very well on cabergoline to bring down the prolactin levels and testosterone therapy.

Comment from: SM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I have been dealing with an almost non-existent libido for nearly seven years and constant tiredness and fatigue for nearly a year or so. I asked my initial primary care physician (PCP) to check my testosterone levels and they came back well below the low end of acceptable. That PCP only wanted to treat the symptoms until I left and went to another doctor who sent me for an MRI. The images came back as a microadenoma on the pituitary gland and my endocrinologist has now got me on cabergoline. I am only into a week so far but am hoping my energy level will increase, given the correction is happening right after DST began. Getting used to the time change and the darkness is just as difficult. I have also been placed on vitamin D.