Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.

Please select the black square:

What is hyperparathyroidism?

If the parathyroid glands secrete too much hormone, as happens in primary hyperparathyroidism, the balance is disrupted: Blood calcium rises. This condition of excessive calcium in the blood, called hypercalcemia, is what usually signals the doctor that something may be wrong with the parathyroid glands. In 85 percent of people with primary hyperparathyroidism, a benign tumor called an adenoma has formed on one of the parathyroid glands, causing it to become overactive. Benign tumors are noncancerous. In most other cases, the excess hormone comes from two or more enlarged parathyroid glands, a condition called hyperplasia. Very rarely, hyperparathyroidism is caused by cancer of a parathyroid gland.

This excess PTH triggers the release of too much calcium into the bloodstream. The bones may lose calcium, and too much calcium may be absorbed from food. The levels of calcium may increase in the urine, causing kidney stones. PTH also lowers blood phosphorus levels by increasing excretion of phosphorus in the urine.

Return to Hyperparathyroidism

Comment from: barcula, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and have an adenoma. I have had calcium levels go up and down, hair loss, depression and feel like I am running at about 50 percent of normal. Actually I feel sick most of the day. Hopefully I will have the adenoma removed within the month and start feeling normal again.

Comment from: Juli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had secondary hyperparathyroidism now for about two years. I am on hemodialysis for kidney failure as well. My hyperparathyroidism symptoms include depression, terrible joint pain, especially in my back and ankles, hair loss, confusion, and sleep problems. They tried me on Sensipar but to no avail, this condition, I was told, needs surgery to remove the affected glands. So, I am now scheduled to have all four glands removed, but pieces of the best will be reinserted into my neck. The surgeon is an ENT guy. I will hopefully feel better as they claim.