Hyperparathyroidism - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with hyperparathyroidism.

What is hyperparathyroidism?

If the parathyroid glands secrete too much hormone, as happens in primary hyperparathyroidism, the balance is disrupted: Blood calcium rises. This condition of excessive calcium in the blood, called hypercalcemia, is what usually signals the doctor that something may be wrong with the parathyroid glands. In 85 percent of people with primary hyperparathyroidism, a benign tumor called an adenoma has formed on one of the parathyroid glands, causing it to become overactive. Benign tumors are noncancerous. In most other cases, the excess hormone comes from two or more enlarged parathyroid glands, a condition called hyperplasia. Very rarely, hyperparathyroidism is caused by cancer of a parathyroid gland.

This excess PTH triggers the release of too much calcium into the bloodstream. The bones may lose calcium, and too much calcium may be absorbed from food. The levels of calcium may increase in the urine, causing kidney stones. PTH also lowers blood phosphorus levels by increasing excretion of phosphorus in the urine.

Return to Hyperparathyroidism

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been ill for years with no medical reason other than being diagnosed with Sjogrens about seven years ago. I began missing work due to severe pain all over my body. Then in December of 2011 while at work I experienced a severe migraine with vertigo, followed by two weeks of vomiting. I have had all kinds of stomach problems, diarrhea, bloating, constipation and even have been hospitalized for these problems. On my own, I discovered that I have hyperparathyroid disease. The best advice I can give you is always get a copy of lab, ultrasounds, and all tests sent to your home. You have the right to ask for all medical records. I also followed up with getting my calcium levels checked and asked my doctors lots of questions. Luckily, I did research on my own, found a clinic that specializes in parathyroid disease, and had surgery two weeks ago. I already feel like I have more energy and my joint pain has decreased a lot. Don't give up--there is hope.

Comment from: BonBons, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had no definite symptoms of hyperparathyroidism other than a decline in bone density and blood tests (to monitor a prior cancer) that indicated high blood calcium. My endocrinologist monitored the blood calcium for almost a year and conferred with my oncologist since blood CA could have also been a flag for possibly returning lymphoma. There"s a great reason to have all your physicians in the same hospital. Once hyperparathyroidism was confirmed I did the pre operation testing, showed up for surgery, had the 2 hour surgery and emerged from the operation room with 2.5 fewer parathyroid, the rebel ones. During surgery wonderful devices monitor how the CA levels are being controlled. I was placed in a post operation room to be monitored carefully until the next morning. My symptoms prior to surgery were nonexistent and I presume that"s why I have noticed no changes post operation. My neck muscles were sore for a day after surgery and that was that! Marvelous! Subsequent tests confirm that I am A-Okay! I should now be successfully building up my bone density again with my usual balanced diet and my exercise including weights.