Addison's Disease - Share Your Experience

Were you or someone you know diagnosed with Addison's disease? Please share your experience.

How does Addison's disease occur?

Addison's disease occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and, in some cases, the hormone aldosterone. The disease is also called adrenal insufficiency, or hypocortisolism.

Return to Addison's Disease

Comment from: rkane911, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease when I was 8 years old. I was in and out of the hospital numerous times and almost died twice. My disease had the doctors stumped until a Chinese woman doctor wouldn't stop doing research to figure out what it was. I couldn't walk more than 2 feet without collapsing on the ground and I only weighed 50 pounds because I couldn't keep any food down. After they figured out what I had they put me on prednisone and Florinef and I have been on the same medication for 23 years. They still have no clue what caused my adrenal glands to fail.

Comment from: jferg, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 20

My husband has not long been diagnosed with Addison's, for nearly 6 months he was vomiting with no appetite. He was passing out when he stood up and had lost over 4 stones in weight. The doctors were just giving him anti-sickness tablets until 1 day I rang the doctors crying saying my husband is dying in front of my eyes and no one is helping him. As a result he was flown to the hospital and kept in for 37 days where they found out he has Addison's. He is better now thanks to steroids but suffers from tiredness and sore joints a lot.