Diabetes Insipidus - Symptoms

What were the signs or symptoms of diabetes insipidus in you, a friend, or relative?

What is diabetes insipidus, and what are the symptoms of the condition?

Diabetes insipidus (DI) is a rare disease that causes frequent urination. The large volume of urine is diluted, mostly water. To make up for lost water, a person with diabetes insipidus may feel the need to drink large amounts and is likely to urinate frequently, even at night, which can disrupt sleep and, on occasion, cause bedwetting. Because of the excretion of abnormally large volumes of dilute urine, people with diabetes insipidus may quickly become dehydrated if they do not drink enough water. Children with diabetes insipidus may be irritable or listless and may have fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Milder forms of diabetes insipidus can be managed by drinking enough water, usually between 2 and 2.5 liters a day. Diabetes insipidus severe enough to endanger a person's health is rare.

Return to Diabetes Insipidus

Comment from: Alex, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

Our daugher is 4 years old and we changed to pills (melts in mouth) and feel this works much better than the nasal spray. Our daughter got the condition without doctors able to date to give a clear answer as to what has coused the condition. Does anybody know what hospital or doctor has good experience with diabetes insipidus? I have the impression that this is such a rear contidion that doctors don't have much experience from "live" cases in their practice....

Comment from: self diagnostic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have not had an official diagnosis of diabetes insipidus but severe symptoms seem to be intermittent, I feel dehydrated most of the time. But the severe symptoms usually occur if I have drunk a large amount of coffee and had something with high sugar content and then went and exercised. I might get out of the pool and urinate large volumes each time like 3 times in an hour then by the end of that hour I start feeling shaky like when your blood sugar is too low. If it is really severe I am so weak I cannot lift my arms and cannot walk. It feels like I am going to die, I just sit in my car and drink whatever is there until it passes. It is not a panic attack.