Thyroiditis - Share Your Experience

How did you find out you had thyroiditis? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is thyroiditis?

Thyroiditis (thy-roi-DY-tiss) is inflammation, or swelling, of the thyroid. There are several types of thyroiditis, one of which is Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Return to Thyroiditis

Comment from: Katydid, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had hypothyroidism since I was 19 and always have had trouble controlling my weight. While dieting and exercising on my doctor's advice, my weight just fell off. When it fell below my usual minimum and my annual thyroid level check started to increase, he immediately ordered other tests and diagnosed thyroiditis. I then started to search for symptoms and found that I had the jaw and neck pain and increased sex drive (never had that before). It took about six to eight months for the levels to settle down, and after two years, I'm back to my normal self.

Comment from: nfc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

At the end of October, 2013, I had some mild neck pain, starting on the right side in the area of my thyroid. I also got a bad cold around that same time. After a couple of weeks, the pain got worse, and I also discovered my blood pressure was running a little high. Normally my blood pressure is fairly low. I had a sonogram done of my thyroid. The doctor wasn't too concerned about it. I had nodules that had been present on previous scans, and there was no change in them, however, there were some texture changes on the right lobe. In the meantime, I started experiencing anxiety, which made my blood pressure go higher, which made my anxiety get worse. In the beginning, I would get a mild shaky feeling, and I thought it was blood sugar dropping because I had eaten too much of something sweet, i.e., cookies, donuts, etc.! Finally, I had blood work done and got in to see the doctor, this was about the middle of December 2013. By this time, the right lobe was not as swollen as it had been, but the pain had spread over to the left side, and it was now swollen. Because of my symptoms and labs, I was given the diagnosis of thyroiditis, mild-hyper. I had lab tests done again a couple of weeks ago, and they are getting better.