Bad Breath - Remedies

What home or OTC remedies have you found effective in treating bad breath?

What products can be used to eliminate or mask bad breath?

Bad breath that is due to simple causes such as foods may be more easily masked or eliminated than bad breath due to medical conditions, infections, or medication side effects.

There are some things a person can do to eliminate or at least temporarily mask bad breath.

• Brushing the teeth and tongue, and flossing, can often eliminate bad breath, at least in the short term.
  • Mouthwash may temporarily mask bad breath.
  • Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugar free mints may temporarily mask bad breath odor.
  • For more serious cases of bad breath, dentists can prescribe special toothpaste and mouthwash that can improve the symptoms of bad breath.
Return to Bad Breath

Comment from: shlomo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

Even though I brush my teeth after every meal, I still have bad breath. I try to keep my mouth healthy, but still smell bad to others. I've gone to the doctor several times to have my mouth, earths, throat and lungs checked. I'm told that I am healthy. I don't know what to do about my breath.

Comment from: vampy, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

I have found that brushing my teeth and the very back of my tongue, right before the gag reflex works. I use baking soda mixed with peroxide about a teaspoon of baking soda to cap of peroxide, mixing it until it's a thin, paste-like consistency. It's very important to brush the roof of your mouth along with the gums and inside the cheeks. Follow with your choice of toothpaste and an alcohol-free mouthwash. To keep your mouth fresh all day, mix a small amount of mouthwash and peroxide and put it in an old pill bottle with a travel toothbrush. Do not swallow! You will be whistling Dixie. I hope this helps.

Stay Informed!