Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?

What are the symptoms of microscopic colitis?

The primary symptom of microscopic colitis is chronic, watery diarrhea. Individuals with microscopic colitis can have diarrhea for months or years before the diagnosis is made. Typically, the symptoms begin very gradually and are intermittent in nature with periods when the person feels well, followed by bouts of chronic diarrhea. This chronic diarrhea of microscopic colitis is different from the acute diarrhea of infectious colitis, which typically lasts only days to weeks. Some individuals with microscopic colitis also may experience mild abdominal cramps and pain. Blood in the stool is unusual.

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: Jane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis in 2010. I had chronic diarrhea for 4 months and ended up getting dehydrated and was put in the hospital for five days. My symptoms were chronic diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain and cramping.

Comment from: bookreader, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) for over 30 years. When I reflect back I had CC for perhaps 10 years before I was diagnosed. I finally went to my gastroenterologist when the diarrhea was beyond the count. I took over 8 Lomotil in 2 hours, plus Imodium, Pepto-Bismol, Citracal and I had Bentyl, (on vacation out of the country) so I took that. Diarrhea for 8 hours straight and at 6AM I finally took a sleeping pill and let it be. On my return I made an appointment and told the doctor all that had occurred. In addition, I was incontinent at night 1 to 3 times a night at times most nights. My doctor immediately pulled the biopsy slides from last colonoscopy. He called me 2 days later with diagnosis of collagenous colitis. He put me on Asacol 2 to 3 times a day; I had a reaction to Asacol, a low grade temp. The doctor took me off it for 2 weeks and decreased the dose. I returned to the doctor in 1 month and still with diarrhea. I had ordered codeine on top of all OTC & Lomotil. Codeine did help. The doctor put me on Entocort 3mg tablets 3, 9mg once a day. I think I responded in about 6 weeks; I became constipated and he cut the dose to 2 a day, eventually titrated off because of my constipation.

Stay Informed!