Microscopic Colitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your microscopic colitis?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of microscopic colitis?

The primary symptom of microscopic colitis is chronic, watery diarrhea. Individuals with microscopic colitis can have diarrhea for months or years before the diagnosis is made. Typically, the symptoms begin very gradually and are intermittent in nature with periods when the person feels well, followed by bouts of chronic diarrhea. This chronic diarrhea of microscopic colitis is different from the acute diarrhea of infectious colitis, which typically lasts only days to weeks. Some individuals with microscopic colitis also may experience mild abdominal cramps and pain. Blood in the stool is unusual.

Return to Microscopic Colitis (Lymphocytic Colitis and Collagenous Colitis)

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and microscopic colitis. It started 3 years ago. I lost 35 lb. It took a year to gain weight back. I got sick again about a year ago and lost 35 lb. again. I have gained about 8 lb. in 6 months. I am 5 ft. 6 and weighed 98 lb. I had lots of pain. Now I am diabetic from all the steroids. It is almost impossible to gain weight when you are on a diabetic diet and colitis diet at same time. When I am under stress colitis gets worse. Stress plays a big part of starting colitis into action. If I do not gain more weight within 2 to 3 weeks I have to go into hospital again. My doctor says I cannot continue at this weight. He said I have nothing left to fight off anything because I am so skinny. People I know say you need to eat you are too skinny. I am so tired of hearing this. I just reply I am sick I try to eat but pain and going to the bathroom 15 times a day makes it impossible. Some people act like I want to look like this. I do not even like to look in the mirror. It is not pretty when you can see every bone in your body. I have found out dairy, fiber, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables and sweets are not agreeable to me at all.

Comment from: milori, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I was just diagnosed via biopsies from a colonoscopy with collagenous colitis after 4 months of increasingly explosive watery diarrhea. I had pain and cramping and had to stay near a bathroom at all times. I couldn't take it anymore and finally saw my primary doctor, who did specimen tests which came out negative, and prescribed Imodium and then Lomotil, both of which were ineffective. She referred me to a gastroenterologist, who performed the colonoscopy, made the diagnosis and put me on budesonide. I have been on the budesonide for a little over a week, and the symptoms have pretty much normalized. This is a 12 week regimen and I am nervous that the symptoms will return once I go off of it, but trying to keep a positive outlook that the regimen will take care of the problem. I am so grateful that there was a medication that could bring the miserable symptoms under control.