Gardner's Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Have you been diagnosed with adenomatous polyposis? Please share your experience with Gardner's syndrome.

Please select the black triangle:

How common is familial adenomatous polyposis?

The reported incidence of familial adenomatous polyposis varies from 1 in 7,000 to 1 in 22,000 individuals.

Return to Gardner's Syndrome (Familial Adenomatous Polyposis)

Comment from: Steph, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I am from a family of Gardner's patients from my father's side. At 10 I started having semi-annual tests done, at 13 years of age they found many polyps, by 14 I had subtotal colectomy leaving only 9 inches of colon, and the colon removed was loaded with polyps. I got by until 23 when I needed an ileoanal anastomosis, J pouch. I had cauterization of adenomatous changes in tissue in Ampulla of Vater area needing a temporary pancreatic duct stent. After 25 years of having a J pouch, it failed due to scar tissue from chronic pouchitis and a pouch outlet obstruction requiring an ileostomy. I am still having annual EGD and bowel scopes, now through ileostomy. I have a strong family history of duodenal cancer and thyroid cancer. One of my relatives had a Whipple procedure for cancer, another had a Whipple prophylactically where I had only the cauterization done of the area. Close surveillance is the key.

Comment from: suethom, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 03

My father had Gardner's syndrome, and passed away at 60. I was diagnosed with it at age 21, had 3 benign tumors, and had semi-colectomy. Between age 21 and 42 I had millions of polyps removed. At age of 42 they were showing more rapid change, I chose to have an ileostomy, and thought I would live to my 50s or 60. I am now 75, and I feel great! My brother and 2 sisters older than me didn't have it. All are living good lives. My thanks to wonderful doctors. The doctors didn't know if I was starting or stopping Gardner's syndrome.