Pancreas Divisum - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pancreas divisum?

Please select the black square:

What are pancreas divisum symptoms?

Most individuals born with pancreas divisum experience no symptoms throughout life, will remain undiagnosed, and will not require treatment. A small number of patients with pancreas divisum will experience repeated episodes of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can cause abdominal pain as well as more severe complications. Some patients with pancreas divisum may develop chronic abdominal pain without pancreatitis.

Doctors are not certain how pancreas divisum causes abdominal pain and pancreatitis. One theory is that the minor papilla is too narrow to adequately drain the digestive juices in the dorsal portion of the pancreas. The backup of the digestive juices elevates the pressure in the minor duct that causes abdominal pain and pancreatitis. Others believe that there must be other factors above and beyond pancreas divisum that predispose a certain population of patients to develop pancreatitis. Research continues in order to determine the exact relationship.

Return to Pancreas Divisum

Comment from: Lee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

It was great to find this page, I suffer from pancreas divisum. I had my gall bladder removed in 2004 as they thought this was the cause of the intense pain I was in. Three weeks later I had another attack, and this continued for years on and off, until in 2013/14 I had 36 admissions to hospital and finally referred to a surgeon in Brisbane. He is amazing. I have had an MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) and ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography). They enlarged one of the ducts, and I felt great for 4 days. Another attack and I was hospitalized, now I am on enzymes, and pain management. I have worked out that eating white bread doesn't help, but other times I can be sound asleep and wake in excruciating pain. I had no pain until I was 35 and constant for the past 10 years; no idea what caused it to flare up but am seriously getting sick of it.

Comment from: JMSchil, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I recently just had my gallbladder removed in November 2015 and I'm still having pain. A CT scan showed I have pancreas divisum and two small nodules on my liver. I just had a MRI and waiting for results. I can't get through the day without 600 mg of Ibuprofen and 1 extra strength Tylenol about every four hours. It really starts to hurt when I'm sitting and feels inflamed. Some days are worse than others. I'm sick of feeling this way. It's been a year now dealing with this.