Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Please select the black square:

What is hip bursitis?

There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: NoMoreBootcamp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Trochanteric bursitis has been diagnosed in my left hip, I am going to have cortisone injection tomorrow. Doctor said probable cause was repetitive action. In trying to lose weight, I embarked on a walking program, then a bit of spin bike, boxing, lightweight bicep curls and the dreaded step. On and off a low wooden platform leading with left then right leg 30 to 50 times. I protested at the time and should have refused! Only thing I have found to help in bed at night is a 2 or 3 stack of pillows at ankle level which reduces the drag on the hip area as soon as you lie down and try to sleep. I have to sleep on my side because of sleep apnea. I also have a cushion between knees (have done for years) but this doesn't help the hip/thigh/knee pain. But putting ankles on pillow stack so they are at hip level helps!

Comment from: Mar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am just starting treatment for hip bursitis, Graston technique. I had one session with my chiropractor and already sleeping better. I am dreading next sessions because it isn't exactly pain free, but at least only lasts 90 seconds. Better than shots and surgery, hopefully.