Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

What is hip bursitis?

There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Larky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My back was offered an operation. My knees are bone to bone. At age 90 I shall probably not have them fixed. They are painful. But more so were my hips. I thought I might get new ones, except they were ok. The pain was the inflamed bursar (both sides). Cortisone shots are miraculous in relieving the pain; and even help knees and arthritic thumbs. Only problem is that they do not last long enough. I find regular stretching exercises have helped everything else. I also walk a little and do Tai Chi. I wish you all well. Here is to mobility.

Comment from: Nanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

One week before Thanksgiving I started having hip pain and had trouble walking or sitting. It got worse over the weekend and by Monday I couldn"t really move. No position helped except lying in bed on my back. I thought it was a pinched nerve since I"ve had sciatica and broken tailbone in the past. After testing where it was found to be hip bursitis, and some preliminary treatment I started physical therapy (16 weeks) and pain medication. I am into this 6 months and still on pain medications and muscle relaxants. I did have steroid injections but they only proved to help for a few weeks. I feel now like I am worse than before the steroid shots. I use a cane. I swim 3 times a week. I"m losing weight but the pain persists. I"m improved maybe 60% or a little more depending on the day and sometimes worse. I"m still on pain medications. I feel like I am never going to get better.