Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

What is hip bursitis?

There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Pinky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had hip bursitis in my left hip for 15 years. It was only 7 months ago that it was diagnosed and that was through paying to go private. For all those years I have had to put up with the pain with no diagnosis. I even thought it must have been in my head! I had an injection in my hip in April 2015, which lasted just two weeks. Now it's back again. I can't sleep properly, I hobble like an old woman when I get up from a chair or sofa. It's depressing. I am only allowed 2 to 3 injections a year and quite frankly it's not worth it just for two weeks' relief. Is this my life from now on! I also have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease (I had 3 injections in my spine but they made no difference whatsoever); the two probably work together though pain wise.

Comment from: Del, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I am a fifty eight year old female, and I had hip bursitis for a year. I have had sleepless nights, with extreme pain sitting, standing, and walking. Life is awful. I had three injections, but not much relief. I am beside myself with it all.