Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

What is hip bursitis?

There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I retired and moved to a warmer climate one year ago. After driving 2000 miles to my new home I noticed my left buttock had a dull pain that radiated down to the knee, but only when sitting in the car and occasionally when sitting in a chair. After x-rays and an MRI the orthopedic doctor confirmed hip bursitis. Steroid injection provided temporary relief, then anti-inflammatory drugs, then physiotherapy. After that I still have pain in the buttock and down the posterior leg to knee after driving for more than a half hour; even while just sitting in the car and not driving!

Comment from: Pat b., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started to get left hip pain over two years ago, after sitting and watching a show. Eventually I needed to see an orthopedic doctor for my hip bursitis, from there a steroid injection, which helped. Now after the injection lasted two months, and waiting five months for a hospital appointment to go all through the system again, I am waiting again for another injection. I am finding it hard to walk straight away when rising from a seat, or getting out of the car. I was told yesterday at my appointment, there isn't much that can be done. I am feeling a bit depressed today, struggling to walk.