Hip Bursitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hip bursitis.

Please select the white circle:

What is hip bursitis?

There are two major bursae of the hip, the trochanteric bursa and the ischial bursa. Inflammation of either can be associated with stiffness and pain around the hip joint. The trochanteric bursa is located on the side of the hip. It is separated significantly from the actual hip joint by tissue and bone.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Goldie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I've had bursitis in my shoulder/elbow before, shots and steroids worked. However, now I have it in the outer and inner hip area. I got a shot which helped some with the trochanteric bursitis on the side of the right hip, but the ischiogluteal bursa by the tailbone is still inflamed. Now going on 8 weeks of tests, taking medications, walking with a cane, tried TENS unit, icing and heat, but the pain is worse at night from being on it all day at work, it just aggravates it all over again. By the end of the week, I spend Saturday doctoring myself again in order to be able to do anything. I am behind on everything.

Comment from: Charlie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I retired and moved to a warmer climate one year ago. After driving 2000 miles to my new home I noticed my left buttock had a dull pain that radiated down to the knee, but only when sitting in the car and occasionally when sitting in a chair. After x-rays and an MRI the orthopedic doctor confirmed hip bursitis. Steroid injection provided temporary relief, then anti-inflammatory drugs, then physiotherapy. After that I still have pain in the buttock and down the posterior leg to knee after driving for more than a half hour; even while just sitting in the car and not driving!