Diarrhea - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with chronic diarrhea.

Please select the black square:

What is diarrhea?

Diarrhea is an increase in the frequency of bowel movements or a decrease in the form of stool (greater looseness of stool). Although changes in frequency of bowel movements and looseness of stools can vary independently of each other, changes often occur in both.

Diarrhea needs to be distinguished from four other conditions. Although these conditions may accompany diarrhea, they often have different causes and different treatments than diarrhea. These other conditions are:

1. Incontinence of stool, which is the inability to control (delay) bowel movements until an appropriate time, for example, until one can get to the toilet
  2. Rectal urgency, which is a sudden urge to have a bowel movement that is so strong that if a toilet is not immediately available there will be incontinence
  3. Incomplete evacuation, which is a sensation that another bowel movement is necessary soon after a bowel movement, yet there is difficulty passing further stool the second time
  4. Bowel movements immediately after eating a meal
Return to Diarrhea

Comment from: skme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

After giving birth to my child at age 21, I had diarrhea, not constipation. While in the hospital I was too embarrassed to tell them that instead of being constipated, I had frequent watery stool. I lived with this for a year hiding and taking Imodium as needed. I was diagnosed with C-difficile a year later after I had an uncontrolled bowel movement in the car, went home and couldn't leave the toilet, I was having diarrhea and vomiting. I had a colonoscopy a year and a half later, it came back normal. Shortly after, my insurance was cancelled and the infectious disease doctor I was seeing, I couldn't see any longer. I went for years without having a physician treat this, just taking Imodium as needed. I finally got my doctor to refer me to a gastroenterologist a year ago. I tried benzyl with no result. I've had another colonoscopy, an endoscopy and a gastric emptying study. I still have found no effective treatment other than taking Imodium as needed.

Comment from: Miserable, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I go for up to 4 days without going to the bathroom and then without warning I get started with normal bowel movement and it quickly goes to more loose each time they move, up to 2 to 4 times, and the nausea starts. I take Pepto-Bismol until the nausea somewhat subsides. It can last up to a day or more and then I can start eating and the process starts all over again. I need some help here. I have had upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and a colonoscopy about 5 years ago. I still have no diagnosis.