Gilbert Syndrome - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your Gilbert syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of Gilbert syndrome?

The elevated bilirubin pigment can sometimes cause mild yellowing (jaundice) of the eyes. People with Gilbert syndrome are otherwise entirely normal with no other signs or symptoms. Their liver enzyme levels in blood serum are also entirely normal.

Gilbert syndrome is most commonly diagnosed after puberty, when alterations in sex hormone levels cause the blood bilirubin levels to rise. Situations that aggravate elevated blood bilirubin levels (such as fasting, destruction of red blood cells, or illnesses) may be the initial factors that cause the patient to seek medical attention.

Return to Gilbert Syndrome

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I went to my dermatologist with cuts on my dried hands and fingers. I told her that another dermatologist said it was psoriasis. I told her that an 80 year old lady who sat by me had hands nicer than I did at age 41. She looked at the lump on my first finger's knuckle and asked if she could put 3 small needle holes in it to show me what it was. After she made 3 quick pricks she squeezed out yellowish brown Vaseline type goop. She said to keep hydrated with water, and tell my doctors that I have Gilbert syndrome and I will always have high bilirubin reading levels, and jaundice sometimes. She told me that both parents must have had the abnormal gene. I am now 62 and have three more finger bumps, plus fatigue and extreme dryness and cuts on feet and hands. I will now take Lipitor as I was given a prescription for it. Eat healthy.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I was diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome after tests and elimination at 19 years of age. I had a severe dose of glandular fever which left me jaundiced. I often got sick if I had not eaten within 6 hours. I suffer from headaches, right side abdominal pain, itchy arms, legs and back. I feel the cold, have poor sleep and concentration. Surgery is bad as well as any stomach bugs, leaving me throwing up violently and eventually bile more often than not. I suffer headaches and tiredness often. When I got diagnosed, once appendicitis and fat intolerance were ruled out, I was found to be protein intolerant. I manage my diet by eating regularly and controlling how much protein I eat, to reduce nausea, headaches and abdominal pain. I am still learning about the condition and found out when I recently had surgery, Gilbert syndrome sufferers need a warm theater when having surgery as we feel the cold. First time I never froze going in to surgery thanks to the anesthetist who knew about Gilbert syndrome.