Obesity - Are You Obese?

Many adults and children are considered obese. Please share your personal experience with being overweight and obese.

How common is obesity?

Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the United States. Over two-thirds of adults are overweight or obese, and one in three Americans is obese. The prevalence of obesity in children has increased markedly, with approximately 20%-25% of children either overweight or obese. Obesity has also been increasing rapidly throughout the world, and the incidence of obesity nearly doubled from 1991 to 1998.

Return to Obesity

Comment from: ShopAholic, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I retired a year ago and gained even more weight than I already had. I am now over 100 lbs overweight with bad knees and back. I tried walking for a while but it was just too much. I am going to try once again to lose weight but it is very hard. If I starve myself, less than 800 calories a day, I might lose 15 or so pounds in 4 months, but then gain it back. I"m just frustrated and venting.

Comment from: oooie47, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I am close to my top weight of 360lbs. I have other things going on too; sleep apnea, diabetes, Crohn"s disease, muscle cramps, dry skin. Why don"t I take care of myself? I love to eat, especially sweets. It"s very hard to not have them around. I love ice cream - what good do these things do me! I have no control over what goes in my mouth. Some may disagree but that"s how it is right now and has been for years. My dad died at age 67 (I"m 54 right now). My mom died at age 77. My brother has had heart surgery. My uncle just died at age 88 of two heart attacks. I feel I need to be scared into eating right. I"m not a person who likes to be in the kitchen. I just eat on the run. I have stuff in my refrigerator but it spoils. I need help and encouragement.

Stay Informed!