Bunions - Symptoms

How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?

What are symptoms and signs of a bunion?

Bunions may or may not cause symptoms. A frequent symptom is foot pain in the involved area when walking or wearing shoes; rest relieves this pain. A bunion causes enlargement of the base of the big toe and is usually associated with positioning of the big toe toward the smaller toes. Shoe pressure in this area can cause interment pain while the development of arthritis in more severe bunions can lead to chronic pain.

Bunions that cause marked pain are often associated with swelling of the soft tissues, redness, and local tenderness. It is important to note that, in postpubertal men and postmenopausal women, pain at the base of the big toe can be caused by gout and gouty arthritis that is similar to the pain caused by bunions.

Return to Bunions

Comment from: Kruen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I received mine during a soccer game. My opponent and I both kicked each others foot going for the ball, causing swelling,and leaving me with a bunion. It didn't really bother me after the swelling went down besides how it looked. Now a couple years later it's starting to turn in more making it hard to walk correctly without feeling like my toe is going pop or break.