Hepatitis C - Treatment

What methods of treatment, including medication, have you received for your hepatitis C?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for hepatitis C infection?

Hepatitis C does not always require treatment. There are 6 genotypes of hepatitis C and they may respond differently to treatment. Careful screening is necessary before starting the treatment to determine the most appropriate approach for the patient.

Combination antiviral therapy with interferon and ribavirin has been the mainstay of hepatitis C treatment. Unfortunately, interferon is not widely available globally, it is not always well tolerated, some virus genotypes respond better to interferon than others, and many people who take interferon do not finish their treatment. This means that while hepatitis C is generally considered to be a curable disease, for many people this is not a reality.

Scientific advances have led to the development of new antiviral drugs for hepatitis C, which may be more effective and better tolerated than existing therapies. Two new therapeutic agents telaprevir and boceprevir have recently been licensed in some countries. Much needs to be done to ensure that these advances lead to greater access and treatment globally.

Return to Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)

Comment from: Dorolar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I have Hep c for over 15 years now, when I was first diganased I was put on interferon for a year, it was hell but I did it, I was extremely healthy up until recent months due to medication , I should have been more honest with each doctor that wanted to give me a pill for this or that, feeling very frustrated & scared as I am going in for an ultra sound next week !

Comment from: why not me?, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was prescribed Ribavirin and Interferon. I took the shot once a week and the Ribavirin every day. At first it seemed to be working but unfortunately my immune system began fighting off and rejecting this treatment, as a result I had to discontinue.