Hives - Symptoms

What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms and signs of ordinary urticaria (ordinary hives)?

Ordinary hives flare up suddenly and usually for no specific reason. Welts appear, often in several places. They flare, itch, swell, and go away in a matter of minutes to hours, only to appear elsewhere. This sequence may go on from days to weeks. Most episodes of hives last less than six weeks. Although that cutoff point is arbitrary, cases of hives that last more than six weeks are often called "chronic."

Return to Hives (Urticaria & Angioedema)

Comment from: virgie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have welps on my hands and along the hair line when I have hives.

Comment from: Zeva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had hives for over 2 months now. I take 40 mg of Zyrtec every day and it seems to make them appear less. They move all over but never seem to go away forever. I wonder if there is any long term problem in taking Zyrtec for a long time. I know there is a shot I could take, but the side effects are worse than the hives. My hives just came out of the blue with no rhyme or reason.