Hives - Symptoms

What did your hives look like and where on your body did they appear? Did you have other symptoms?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms and signs of ordinary urticaria (ordinary hives)?

Ordinary hives flare up suddenly and usually for no specific reason. Welts appear, often in several places. They flare, itch, swell, and go away in a matter of minutes to hours, only to appear elsewhere. This sequence may go on from days to weeks. Most episodes of hives last less than six weeks. Although that cutoff point is arbitrary, cases of hives that last more than six weeks are often called "chronic."

Return to Hives (Urticaria & Angioedema)

Comment from: Heysel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

After bathing hives appear on my neck, arms or legs. If it is really hot the itching triggers too much so what I do is wash it with cold water to cool it down.

Comment from: Better, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

This information may help many of you suffering from hives. My doctor increased my thyroid medication and I got urticaria from getting cold, it lasted for a month before I realized that was the cause. It increased my internal body temperature too high and therefore when my skin would get cold the blood would rush to warm it up causing the hives. By going back to my original dose I only get hives when it is very cold, but they only last until I warm up unlike the other which did not go away for a month. Unfortunately my body needs the thyroid medications so I bundle up outside when it's cold, and when there is a breeze on warm or hot days on your arm you need to have a long sleeved cotton shirt to wear as the breeze will cool your skin and cause the hives. So check your dose to see if you are able to take a lesser dose of thyroid medications.