Ulcerative Colitis - Diet

What dietary or lifestyle changes have you made after your diagnosis of ulcerative colitis?

Are there special dietary requirements for persons with ulcerative colitis?

Although it seems plausible that a specialized diet might benefit patients with ulcerative colitis, there is actually no evidence to support treatment with dietary modification. Despite extensive research, no diet has been found to slow progression, treat, or cure the disease. It is recommended that patients stay on a balanced, healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats, beans, fish, eggs, nuts. Patients should also try to limit foods with saturated fats high cholesterol. During flare-ups, patients should continue to eat as tolerated. The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America recommends a bland diet with soft food during a flare including hot cereals, boiled eggs, mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, canned or cooked vegetables to minimize discomfort.

Return to Ulcerative Colitis

Comment from: JO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

After my diagnosis of ulcerative colitis I take no citrus fruit, no dairy and no hard liquor; I have a beer or two.

Comment from: rob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

My first flare-up with ulcerative colitis occurred when I was 40. I am now 67 and have had my second flare-up after I took chondroitin, glucosamine and collagen for my joints. Also I should not eat apples although I love them. Curious, since other fruits don't bother me. Things are better with exercise, lifting weights, walking, etc. I am concerned about long walks because of needing to find a bathroom. Oh yes, a powder fiber supplement helps a lot.