Turner Syndrome - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you or a relative received for Turner syndrome?

Please select the black triangle:

Is Turner syndrome inherited?

Turner syndrome is not usually inherited in families. Turner syndrome occurs when one of the two X chromosomes normally found in women is missing or incomplete. Although the exact cause of Turner syndrome is not known, it appears to occur as a result of a random error during the formation of either the eggs or sperm.

Humans have 46 chromosomes, which contain all of a person's genes and DNA. Two of these chromosomes, the sex chromosomes, determine a person's gender. Both of the sex chromosomes in females are called X chromosomes. (This is written as XX.) Males have an X and a Y chromosome (written as XY). The two sex chromosomes help a person develop fertility and the sexual characteristics of their gender.

In Turner syndrome, the girl does not have the usual pair of two complete X chromosomes. The most common scenario is that the girl has only one X chromosome in her cells. Some girls with Turner syndrome do have two X chromosomes, but one of the X chromosomes is incomplete. In another scenario, the girl has some cells in her body with two X chromosomes, but other cells have only one. This is called mosaicism.

Return to Turner Syndrome

Comment from: tclongino, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed with Turner syndrome at age 4. I started on estrogen and progesterone at 14. I have had 3 strokes, at age 13, age 48, and age 50. I am a registered nurse who worked for about 27 years. I retired after my second stroke. After my third stroke, I became a nursing home resident. I am now 55 and have had a good life. I was married for almost 18 years until my husband passed away. Life is what you make of it.

Comment from: Tamara Schwab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed with Turner syndrome when I was 15 and started growth hormone daily shots right away. At 17 I started with estrogen and eventually progesterone. Slowly I stopped taking the growth shots when the doctor told me to. Right now it has been two years in estrogen and one in progesterone and my period started about nine months or so ago.