Tremor - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with tremors.

Please select the white circle:

What causes tremor?

Tremor is generally caused by problems in parts of the brain that control muscles throughout the body or in particular areas, such as the hands. Neurological disorders or conditions that can produce tremor include multiple sclerosis, stroke, traumatic brain injury, and neurodegenerative diseases that damage or destroy parts of the brainstem or the cerebellum. Other causes include the use of some drugs (such as amphetamines, corticosteroids, and drugs used for certain psychiatric disorders), alcohol abuse or withdrawal, mercury poisoning, overactive thyroid, or liver failure. Some forms of tremor are inherited and run in families, while others have no known cause.

Return to Tremors

Comment from: robin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been suffering from tremors since 2003. At first I didn't know what they were. My whole body would shake and the only thing I did considering it might be my muscles, is take a bath. But not 1 bath, but 2 or 3 in the same night. I would run very hot water and sit in it about 20m minutes. I would hope that it would stop, but no sooner than I would get out of the bath and lie down, it would start again. I have had many long nights because of these things; especially in public and everyone looks at you like you have Tourette syndrome.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My tremors started getting worse after back surgery. It's embarrassing, and at times l have difficulty walking. I also have jerking in my arms and back, and in my knees. I've been taking primidone. My tremors are worse when I'm tired.