Total Knee Replacement - Recovery

Please share your experience with recovery following a total knee replacement surgery.

Please select the black square:

What happens in the postoperative period?

A total knee replacement generally requires between one and a half to three hours of operative time. After surgery, patients are taken to a recovery room, where vital organs are frequently monitored. When stabilized, patients are returned to their hospital room.

Passage of urine can be difficult in the immediate postoperative period, and this condition can be aggravated by pain medications. A catheter inserted into the urethra (a Foley catheter) allows free passage of urine until the patient becomes more mobile.

Physical therapy is an extremely important part of rehabilitation and requires full participation by the patient for optimal outcome. Patients can begin physical therapy 48 hours after surgery. Some degree of pain, discomfort, and stiffness can be expected during the early days of physical therapy. Knee immobilizers are used in order to stabilize the knee while undergoing physical therapy, walking, and sleeping. They may be removed under the guidance of the therapist for various portions of physical therapy.

A unique device that can help speed recovery is the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. The CPM machine is first attached to the operated leg. The machine then constantly moves the knee through various degrees of range of motion for hours while the patient relaxes.

Patients will start walking using a walker and crutches. Eventually, patients will learn to walk up and down stairs and grades. A number of home exercises are given to strengthen thigh and calf muscles.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: lisa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My total knee replacement surgery was fine. The therapy was so aggressive and I was told that I had to get my knee straight, lie flat in 6 weeks or won't get it back. They would force knee to bend to get range of motion and I had pain to point of screaming. I had little to no sleep, depression from pain and lack of sleep. Even though I am exercising, using CPM machine daily, walking, and pool therapy, I still have stiffness on knee and it is not straight. I hope to have it better down the road but it has been an awful experience.

Comment from: sacha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a total knee replacement two years ago. I had no pain, and rehabilitation was intensive but fun. I had extension of 120 within three weeks, and was walking unaided the first week. Everything seems fine; no pain in the knee, although my ankles get tired after a long active day. I still worry about the future. I hope the replacement lasts. I don't look forward to ever having a revision, but previously I could not walk more than short distances.