Steroid Drug Withdrawal -Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Please select the black square:

What are steroid withdrawal symptoms?

Steroid withdrawal symptoms can mimic many other medical problems. Weakness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (which can lead to fluid and electrolyte abnormalities), and abdominal pain are common. Blood pressure can become too low, leading to dizziness or fainting. Blood sugar levels may drop. Women also may note menstrual changes. Less often, joint pain, muscle aches, fever, mental changes, or elevations of calcium may be noted. Decrease in gastrointestinal contractions can occur, leading to dilation of the intestine (ileus).

Return to Steroid Drug Withdrawal

Comment from: gramjam, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 25

Our regular doctor put my husband on 15 mg prednisone to see if helped his peripheral neuropathy. Then his rheumatologist upped it to 40 mg to see if it actually was helping him! His pain, muscle weakness, inability to sleep was worse, he got severe headaches and his neck and face got very puffy appearing. Now he is being weaned off the prednisone. The side effects are horrible; muscle weakness and atrophy, severe abdominal pain, light headedness. The pain of withdrawal on top of the pain from the severe neuropathy is almost more than he can bear!

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I had giant cell arthritis, which affected sight in my left eye, now fully regained. I was whipped into hospital off the street and placed on a drip with 65 mg of prednisolone. Let home after 2 days, had difficulty remembering things like my piano lessons, moving at a quarter to half speed without realizing it. At all stages during slow withdrawal (one relapse, back up to 20 mg from 5 mg) I maintained my usual attendance at the local gym. I had to reduce the weights accordingly, continued to run shorter distances, all with reduced efficiency. Now I am down to 3 mg, I am functioning near normal levels and do not recognize the symptoms being described (for which I am grateful)! Yes, I did have the night sweats, which was so alarming, and mental sluggishness. Other than that, I seem to be nearly (fingers crossed) home free. I wonder if the exercise helped or I was just lucky.