Steroid Drug Withdrawal -Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Please select the black square:

What are steroid withdrawal symptoms?

Steroid withdrawal symptoms can mimic many other medical problems. Weakness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (which can lead to fluid and electrolyte abnormalities), and abdominal pain are common. Blood pressure can become too low, leading to dizziness or fainting. Blood sugar levels may drop. Women also may note menstrual changes. Less often, joint pain, muscle aches, fever, mental changes, or elevations of calcium may be noted. Decrease in gastrointestinal contractions can occur, leading to dilation of the intestine (ileus).

Return to Steroid Drug Withdrawal

Comment from: Iamtwo2blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been taking prednisone for 18 years nonstop. The minimum dose being 20 mg and the maximum 80 mg. The side effects that I experience are slow healing, thin skin, heavy clotty menstrual cycles, easy and frequent bruising, frequent and painful muscle spasms, severe heart burn and acid reflux, and stomach cramps and high blood sugars. Occasionally my doctor tries to taper me off but is not successful. The symptoms I experience during tapering are headaches, wheezing, shortness of breath, acne, more painful muscle spasms, change in menstrual cycle but still clotty, weakness, nausea, stomach aches, change in blood sugars (low blood sugars), low blood pressure, and feeling fatigue.

Comment from: pixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I've been on 50 mg of prednisolone daily for almost four weeks. My normal doctor is on holiday and the stand-in refused to give me any more. I'm getting side effects, wonder if this is because of the sudden stopping. I have headaches, shakes, terrible spots that bleed, diarrhea, urinary problems, stiff aching joints, and flu like symptoms.