Steroid Drug Withdrawal -Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with steroid drug withdrawal?

Please select the white circle:

What are steroid withdrawal symptoms?

Steroid withdrawal symptoms can mimic many other medical problems. Weakness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (which can lead to fluid and electrolyte abnormalities), and abdominal pain are common. Blood pressure can become too low, leading to dizziness or fainting. Blood sugar levels may drop. Women also may note menstrual changes. Less often, joint pain, muscle aches, fever, mental changes, or elevations of calcium may be noted. Decrease in gastrointestinal contractions can occur, leading to dilation of the intestine (ileus).

Return to Steroid Drug Withdrawal

Comment from: Preston, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Nine years ago I got a disease called neurocysticercosis. I had swelling of the spine and could not move my legs. I took 60 mg of prednisone for 3 months. Well, the doctor started to take me off and he ended up doing it too fast and I literally almost died. I got dehydrated, blood pressure dropped and was totally out of it. When my husband got me to the hospital the doctor said it isn't a matter or re-hydrating her, it is a case of keeping her alive. I was very lucky. They put me back on the prednisone and tapered slower. Now fast forward to this January. I ended up finding I have low cortisol. So they put me on hydrocortisone. It has been about two months and I began to have awful fatigue, severe headaches, and horrible nausea. I weaned off but still nauseous and extremely tired. I have decided I will never take these again!

Comment from: suzieQ, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 19

My husband was on 4 mg of a steroid drug for 4 months due to spinal stenosis. He acted kind of hyper-euphoric at the beginning. Then he developed the moon face. He has been weaning off for the last 2 weeks and has been having a terrible time with many of the symptoms listed in this article including muscle weakness, tiring easily, light headedness, and now today, fever. I read here that they don't know how each dose effects different people. My husband has a very sensitive system and I will not allow any doctor to prescribe long term steroids in the future! This stuff is dangerous.