Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.

Please select the black square:

What is reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)?

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) is a condition that features a group of typical symptoms, including pain (often "burning" type), tenderness, and swelling of an extremity associated with varying degrees of sweating, warmth and/or coolness, flushing, discoloration, and shiny skin. RSD is also referred to as "complex regional pain syndrome," "the shoulder-hand syndrome," "causalgia," and "Sudeck's atrophy."

Return to Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

Comment from: dorilech, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I acquired reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) from carpal tunnel surgery. The pain was unbelievable when they took out the stitches. I had nerve pain in my hands for months. I currently have tingling/burning pain in my hands which is under control with Neurontin. My right side now mirrors the left (torn rotator cuff, painful elbow, carpal tunnel). I get shots in my back for osteoarthritis, I have had 3 shots in my neck for ganglion nerve blocks, my eyes are bad and my hearing is going in my right ear. I am frustrated with the doctors because they won't listen. I look okay on the outside so they assume that I am okay on the inside. I don't wish RSD on my worst enemy.

Comment from: roberta13, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) since a botched surgery in 1990. There is no reason to live with the pain, a good pain clinic will get it under control. I also have a dorsal column stimulator in my spine; doctors accidently cut 2 major nerves in my right groin area.