Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.

Please select the white circle:

What is reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)?

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) is a condition that features a group of typical symptoms, including pain (often "burning" type), tenderness, and swelling of an extremity associated with varying degrees of sweating, warmth and/or coolness, flushing, discoloration, and shiny skin. RSD is also referred to as "complex regional pain syndrome," "the shoulder-hand syndrome," "causalgia," and "Sudeck's atrophy."

Return to Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I had reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) diagnosed in my wrist about 8 years ago. My hand swelled up and it seemed the finger nails on that hand grew faster than the other hand, and my arm also became hairier than the other side. The pain was like sciatica in my wrist. I went to 3 doctors before it was diagnosed and the hand specialist figured it out and said I need surgery immediately to clean it out. I am not quite sure what he did but the swelling subsided and pain went away and other than a slight restriction of movement and ring finger end joint doesn't bend, I'm fine now.

Comment from: odette, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have suffered from reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) for over 17 years now due to an accident I had at work. I live on morphine on a daily just for the pain alone. I have had pumps to try and help me and then at the pain clinic I was informed I need a pump in my stomach for this. I feel like my world is falling apart with this thing that I have ended up with for the rest of my life. All because I knocked my arm on a door locker my hand goes blue and my fingers are bending in over like a claw. I would not wish this pain 27/7 on any one. I suffer awful pain day and night, which gives you massive chronic depression as well.