Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome.

What is reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)?

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) is a condition that features a group of typical symptoms, including pain (often "burning" type), tenderness, and swelling of an extremity associated with varying degrees of sweating, warmth and/or coolness, flushing, discoloration, and shiny skin. RSD is also referred to as "complex regional pain syndrome," "the shoulder-hand syndrome," "causalgia," and "Sudeck's atrophy."

Return to Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome

Comment from: joannb., Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I am a reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSDS) patient who is currently in remission. This remission has lasted currently 10 years. I had a fantastic doctor who really understood the syndrome as well as a neurologist who spotted it quickly and sent me for a block for diagnosis, which was positive. I live day by day hoping I never retrigger this syndrome. I still worry about any injuries thinking it is going to retrigger it. Mine started with a sprain to the wrist and I ended up within 2 years, with RSDS in my entire body. Lots of blocks were done. Find a good doctor who really knows and understands what you are going through. I can honestly say that I had the best doctors and a great support system.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

A year ago my daughter got diagnosed with complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS). It started in her right foot and has since also moved to her left foot, knee and thigh, mid and upper back. I am interested to see all the different treatments. My daughter has to be homebound because she cannot be touched, she hurts so badly. It breaks my heart to see her in so much pain. The family doctor refuses to give her pain medication because she is eleven years old. The pain is driving her crazy that she had to be put on Prozac. Her doctor tells her she has to learn to deal with it. This awful condition is hard to deal with and watch someone go through it. I am broken hearted because I cannot take her pain away.