Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Please select the white circle:

What are multiple myeloma symptoms and signs?

Patients with myeloma may be found asymptomatic with an unexplained increase in protein in the blood. With more advanced disease, some myeloma patients may present with weakness due to anemia caused by inadequate production of red blood cells, with bone pain due to the aforementioned bone damage, and as the abnormal M protein can accumulate in and damage the kidneys thereby resulting in a patient being found to have otherwise unexplained kidney damage and decreased kidney function.

The following is a list symptoms and signs of multiple myeloma:

• Anemia
  • Bleeding
  • Nerve damage
  • Skin lesions
  • Enlarged tongue (macroglossia)
  • Bone tenderness or pain
  • Weakness or tiredness
  • Infections
  • Pathologic bone fractures
  • Back pain
  • Spinal cord compression
  • Kidney failure and/or damage
  • Loss of appetite and weight loss
  • Constipation
  • Hypercalcemia
  • Leg swelling
Return to Multiple Myeloma

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had diabetes type II since I was 40, and every time there was a medical problem it was blamed on my diabetes. I worked in medical offices for many years. It started with having no energy. I would have to stop many times just to rest before clocking in. My heart had irregular heartbeats. I had neuropathy in my feet and hands. They said it is my diabetes. I had gynecologic cancer ten years earlier and had radiation and I thought I was home free. Then one day there was a lump on the middle of my forehead, it was the size of a small egg. I asked nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners. I kept getting infections. 'It's the diabetes,' or 'did you bump your head?' That's what they kept asking. I kept telling them no. I knew something was wrong. It was a first year resident that did the right tests, and listened to my symptoms instead of saying it is diabetes. I have stage III multiple myeloma and I am thankful this doctor came my way. The other doctors gave him a hard time, but he didn't give up.

Comment from: Blessed59, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

My mother started to feel pain in her ribs in early 2015, a garage door fell on her. All the time we thought it was related to that. Later she started to have pain in her pelvis around 06, 2015. She lives in Venezuela. There is a civil crisis going on. Later, from October 2015 she stayed in bed until December 7 when I arrived and took her to the hospital. Diagnosis was pancreas cancer, then the MRI didn't show anything. At least 6 MRIs were done. Nothing wrong. She got dengue fever in February 2016. In addition she has hypertension, and pulmonary disease (from years of smoking). Later in March 2016 she went back to the hospital for pneumonia. Hematologists, rheumatologists, and all kind of lab tests. Nothing was showing. She had lost 50 pounds, was very weak, had pain in her bones, was retaining fluids, and stopped walking around April 2016. Back to the hospital in May 2016 when she had a high fever. I finally found a traumatologist and then he did surgery. Biopsy sample was taken. Result on 06/2016, multiple myeloma. Now I am in the process of bringing her to the US.