Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Please select the black triangle:

What are multiple myeloma symptoms and signs?

Patients with myeloma may be found asymptomatic with an unexplained increase in protein in the blood. With more advanced disease, some myeloma patients may present with weakness due to anemia caused by inadequate production of red blood cells, with bone pain due to the aforementioned bone damage, and as the abnormal M protein can accumulate in and damage the kidneys thereby resulting in a patient being found to have otherwise unexplained kidney damage and decreased kidney function.

The following is a list symptoms and signs of multiple myeloma:

• Anemia
  • Bleeding
  • Nerve damage
  • Skin lesions
  • Enlarged tongue (macroglossia)
  • Bone tenderness or pain
  • Weakness or tiredness
  • Infections
  • Pathologic bone fractures
  • Spinal cord compression
  • Kidney failure
Return to Multiple Myeloma

Comment from: izitso, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

It seems I am not alone. I was diagnosed a few years ago with the MGUS multiple myeloma status and since then it is 3 monthly blood tests and monitoring. The main symptoms that foretold something was wrong were chronic fatigue and burning headaches. I was taking time off work and feeling generally depressed, low platelets mainly. Basically I have stage 1, so I am lucky. I now have negotiated with my government job to have the mid-week day off by working 1 hour extra each day. As things progress I have now noticed painful knees and strong smelling urine. But it is better than being hit by a bus, so as the song goes, 'always look on the bright side of life!'

Comment from: lisa s., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I am 48 years young, was an active person went to the gym 3 to 5 times a week. It started out I was tired all the time and sometimes weak, then a pain behind my left shoulder pain that went down my bicep. Then one day at work my back; I went to turn and my back cracked, not in a good way, and I lost my breath. To make a long story short a few days later I went to the hospital because by this time I could hardly walk. After 4 days of tests in the hospital I found out I had a fractured spine and also they found multiple myeloma. But if it wasn't for this one doctor I still probably wouldn't have known.