Rosacea - Natural Remedies

Do you use any home or natural remedies for your rosacea? Please share tips.

Please select the black square:

What natural treatments or home remedies can help rosacea?

Rosacea skin tends to be fairly sensitive and may easily flare with self-treatment or common acne therapies. Any home treatment or attempts for natural remedies should be approached with some caution. As with any rosacea therapy, some people may experience sensitivity or irritation with treatment. Several possible natural remedies, including dilute vinegar cleansing and green tea applications, may be useful in rosacea.

Dilute white vinegar facial soaks or cleansing daily or weekly using approximately 1 part regular table vinegar to 6 parts water may be helpful. Vinegar is thought to help as a natural disinfectant and can help decrease the number of yeasts and bacteria on the skin. Since vinegar may flare rosacea in some people, a small test area should be tried before applying to the entire face.

Green tea soaks to the face may also help decrease the redness and inflammation seen in rosacea. Green tea is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties. A few commercially available products also use green tea as the active ingredient.

Return to Rosacea

Comment from: NancyNurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I ignored my red cheeks for years, thinking it is just my Dutch heritage. Finally, I self-diagnosed and bought a tube of over-the-counter ointment for rosacea that made the redness worse. At a subsequent appointment with a dermatologist, I was prescribed Mirvaso for me and that aggravated the condition, making the redness extremely intense and even having a first time flare-up of tiny white heads in the reddened area. Additionally, the redness progressed while using Mirvaso, to my nose, my chin, and the triangle between my eyebrows. Stopping Mirvaso returned me to where I started. I read we rosacea suffers have sensitive skin. So, I started using Aveeno ultra-calming skin cleanser which contains a chamomile type ingredient, and it helps fade the red. I pat, don't rub the skin when washing, and I avoid spicy foods, carrots, and anything wheat. Eating the above, I have immediate flare-ups. I also avoid the sun, stress, and getting too over-heated. Goodbye Mexican food (my favorite) and hello listening to my body. It is best to eat one food item and then check your face. If it turned that ugly red shade, eliminate it from your body, it is basically toxic to you.

Comment from: Mbosguru, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I use tea tree oil for rosacea after washing my face in the morning. I have dramatic change; little redness now. I have been on doxycycline (100 mg/day), and all the prescription gels, to no avail. I am interested in adding apple cider vinegar.