Rosacea - Share Your Experience

How did the first signs of rosacea appear? Please share your experience.

What is rosacea? Is rosacea contagious?

Rosacea (ro-zay-sha) is a common, acne-like, benign skin condition of adults, with a worldwide distribution. Rosacea is estimated to affect at least 16 million people in the United States alone and approximately 45 million worldwide. Most people with rosacea are Caucasian and have fair skin. The main symptoms of rosacea include red or pink facial skin, small dilated blood vessels, small red bumps sometimes containing pus, cysts, and pink or irritated eyes. Many people who have rosacea may just assume they have very sensitive skin that blushes or flushes easily.

Rosacea is considered a chronic (long term), incurable skin condition with periodic ups and downs. As opposed to traditional or teenage acne, most adult patients do not "outgrow" rosacea. Rosacea characteristically involves the central region of the face, mainly the forehead, cheeks, chin, and the lower half of the nose. It is most commonly seen in people with light skin and particularly in those of English, Irish, and Scottish backgrounds. Some famous people with rosacea include the former U.S. President Bill Clinton and W.C. Fields. Rosacea is not directly caused by alcohol intake, but it is presumed to aggravated by it. Rosacea is not considered contagious or infectious.

Picture: What does rosacea look like?
What does rosacea look like?

The redness in rosacea, often aggravated by flushing, may cause small blood vessels in the face to enlarge (dilate) permanently and become more visible through the skin, appearing like tiny red lines (called telangiectasias). Continual or repeated episodes of flushing and blushing may promote inflammation, causing small red bumps that often resemble teenage acne. Rosacea is also referred to as acne rosacea.

Return to Rosacea

Comment from: DragonLadee, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

My 14 year old son has had rosacea for well on 3 years now on both sides of his face. His doctor will not treat him for it. He only says to use cream for dry skin and this infuriates me. A young teen with this problem is shy, embarrassed and does not have friends because of this condition. Other doctors say to see the family doctor who is not doing anything to treat the problem. I know that the treatment is a topical cream that has antibiotics but how to get this when the doctor will not prescribe it! I want my son to stop seeing himself as being 'diseased'.

Comment from: not happy with it, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I decided to get a dermabrasion at my salon as I felt I needed a deep cleansing on my face. Then I did a topical Botox there (3 treatments). I noticed red lines and started with breakouts. I stopped all salon visits for 1 year. Now I am seeing a dermatologist who says it is rosacea. Also he says I have psoriasis of the scalp. I am going for patch test next week but starting to think the two are related, after reading your articles.