Reflux Laryngitis - Symptoms

What are your symptoms associated with reflux laryngitis?

Please select the white circle:

What are the typical symptoms of reflux laryngitis?

Heartburn is the most common symptom associated with reflux. The American College of Gastroenterology estimates that more than 60 million Americans experience heartburn at least once a month and some studies suggest that more than 15 million people experience heartburn symptoms each day. The incidence of GERD is on the rise, and the rise in obesity is believed to be a contributing factor. In addition to heartburn, reflux severe enough to cause laryngitis can cause chronic hoarseness, asthma, or a foreign body sensation in the throat (globus phenomenon).

Return to Reflux Laryngitis

Comment from: annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have acid reflux with cough and sore throat, reflux is bad at night. I had taken esomeprazole (Nexium) 20 gm once per day for 2 weeks but was feeling exhausted and unsteady and disoriented to the point where I could not enjoy much. I am also taking Gaviscon advance after meals and at bedtime. So I stopped for 2 days on advice of the gastroenterologist and then started taking omeprazole 20 mg per day and 75 mg of ranitidine. However I immediately got the same feelings of exhaustion and some dizziness. So cut back to 10 mg omeprazole. I do eat small meals, try not to eat for at least 2 hours before bed and have raised the head of my bed and have extra pillows. The cough and sore throat which did diminish with the esomeprazole are back. I'm feeling rather poorly.

Comment from: bk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I am suffering from hoarseness of voice since last two months. I have consulted 4 ENTs in this period and all are of the opinion that it is reflux laryngitis and the only remedy is proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) with motility agents and voice rest. Still my voice is not clear and I have a pain in the throat. All sorts of tests have been done to rule out the possibilities of cancer, neurological or any other possible problem.