Raynaud's Phenomenon -Symptoms

What symptoms have you experienced with your Raynaud's phenomenon?

What are Raynaud's phenomenon symptoms and signs?

Symptoms of RP depend on the severity, frequency, and duration of the blood vessel spasm. Most patients with mild disease only notice skin discoloration upon cold exposure. They may also experience mild tingling and numbness of the involved digit(s) that will disappear once the color returns to normal. When the blood-vessel spasms become more sustained, the sensory nerves become irritated by the lack of oxygen and can cause pain in the involved digit(s). Rarely, poor oxygen supply to the tissue can cause the tips of the digits to ulcerate. Ulcerated digits can become infected. With continued lack of oxygen, gangrene of the digits can occur.

Less common areas of the body that can be affected by RP include the nose, ears, and tongue. While these areas rarely develop ulcers, they can be associated with a sensation of numbness and pain.

Patients with secondary RP can also have symptoms related to their underlying diseases. RP is the initial symptom of a majority of patients with scleroderma, a skin and joint disease. Other rheumatic diseases frequently associated with RP include systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Sjögren's syndrome.

Return to Raynaud's Phenomenon

Comment from: SandyV-M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

Besides suffering Raynaud's phenomenon in my fingers and toes for several years, just this last winter and when there is a chill wind, my tongue starts to tingle, then it turns very white and seems to swell up. When this happens I am unable to speak as my tongue feels like it's made of lead. It starts to return to normal once I'm out of the cold but as it does, I experience really bad pain rising between my teeth and forehead.

Comment from: casey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have symptoms of Raynaud's phenomenon for several years, more prevalent in left hand than right. I first noticed it on certain blood pressure medication side effects, changed medication and it did help. However I still take a medication that has Raynaud's phenomenon mentioned in side effects. Blanching white to blue still present in cold settings, also left hand finger gives oxygen settings a lower saturation rate but not on right hand.