Head Lice - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis).

Please select the black triangle:

How common is head lice infestation?

Head lice infection is very common. It has been estimated that up to one in every 10 children in school acquires head lice at some time.

Return to Head Lice

Comment from: acashen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I have 3 children and over the years I have dealt with 5 cases of lice infestation. I am currently dealing with #5. In the past I have used Selsun Blue which worked amazingly well for the hair. It kills them and prevents their return with continued use (my husband's family used it frequently when he was a child for treatment and it worked then too). I am trying something different this time just to see if it works. I washed my girls' hair and then conditioned but picked out the live ones with the conditioner still in the hair. After I got those out what I found was if I dried their hair and then sent them to bed with olive oil in their hair, I actually drown a few in olive oil during the application. My hairdresser told me that lice doesn"t like dirty hair hence the attempt with olive oil. I stripped all of their bedding and took it to the Laundromat, used the hottest water I could get and then dried them extra-long to kill the buggers. Well here's to an experiment. If this doesn"t work, it"s back to the Selsun Blue!

Comment from: Merach, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My head was very itchy on a Monday. It had started to itch mildly prior. I came home from work and asked my family it anyone else's head itched and my daughter said her hair had been itching for 3 weeks. She told the nurse at school and was checked and cleared. Tiny white balls were found in her head and a few crawling white lines with legs, lice. I stripped the beds and put all dirty clothes in a trash bag for two weeks. We talked about it and I told her we would be doing a process of elimination and it would take the night and tomorrow. We stayed home from work and school the next day to continue and monitor. We bought Nix and treated hair, the mattresses, and pillows and slept on the leather couch that night. We woke up to find some on the surface of the couch, pretty big ones. It's been a week now, I wash bed clothes and sheets in hot water and soap every morning but my head still itches. My daughter's head is clear of lice but there are some small dry patches of skin. I haven't noticed anything on the bed. We will re-treat our heads tomorrow as directed.