Pancreatitis - Causes

If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.

What are the causes of pancreatitis?

Normally, digestive enzymes released by the pancreas are not activated to break down fats and proteins until they reach the small intestine. However, when these digestive enzymes are activated while still in the pancreas, inflammation and local damage to the pancreas occurs leading to pancreatitis.

The causes of pancreatitis include:

• Alcohol consumption
  • Smoking
  • Family history of pancreatitis
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Pancreatic cancer

Alcohol consumption and gallstones account for over 80% of all cases of pancreatitis in the US.

Return to Pancreatitis

Comment from: Cher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Cause was not determined. I do not drink nor did I have gallstones.

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had acute pancreatitis due to medicine given to me for shingles. This medicine was called gabapentin. So I had shingles on the right side of my head and pancreatitis at the same time. I spent over a week in the hospital.