Pancreatitis - Causes

Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?

Please select the black square:

What are the causes of acute pancreatitis?

Acute pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that occurs suddenly and usually resolves in a few days with treatment. Acute pancreatitis can be a life-threatening illness with severe complications. Each year, about 210,000 people in the United States are admitted to the hospital with acute pancreatitis.1 The most common cause of acute pancreatitis is the presence of gallstones - small, pebble-like substances made of hardened bile - that cause inflammation in the pancreas as they pass through the common bile duct. Chronic, heavy alcohol use is also a common cause. Acute pancreatitis can occur within hours or as long as 2 days after consuming alcohol. Other causes of acute pancreatitis include abdominal trauma, medications, infections, tumors, and genetic abnormalities of the pancreas.

Return to Pancreatitis

Comment from: Cher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Cause was not determined. I do not drink nor did I have gallstones.

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had acute pancreatitis due to medicine given to me for shingles. This medicine was called gabapentin. So I had shingles on the right side of my head and pancreatitis at the same time. I spent over a week in the hospital.