Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care

What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?

Please select the black square:

What support systems are available for multiple myeloma?

The International Myeloma Foundation (IMF) can provide caregivers and patients information about many aspects of this disease. IMF's phone number is 1-800-452-2873. There are local, state, and national support groups for multiple myeloma.

Return to Multiple Myeloma

Comment from: Sara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 56 years old and diagnosed with multiple myeloma (MM) in May 2010, after terrible fatigue and anemia. Doctors in my area could not diagnose the MM in February 2010 and sent me for several tests. Eventually, I was diagnosed by a nephrologist, because my kidney function was then 20 percent. I was sent to a hematologist, who is treating me now. I underwent treatment for 2010 with thalidomide. In October that year I had further kidney damage which left me with 7 percent kidney function. Dialysis was administered for 6 months. I received a stem cell transplant in April 2011. I was in remission for 2 years, and then it was back. Shock! I decided not to undergo dialysis, my kidney function was then 11 percent. I receive Velcade every 3 months. My kidneys are stable on 11 percent with kidney friendly diet. But Velcade's side effects are terrible. My mind is strong to beat this. To everyone with MM, they will eventually get a cure.

Comment from: davebrik, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had a constant itching below my left shoulder blade for about a year. Dermatologist told me is was nostalgia paresthetica; nerve impingement. MRI showed collapsed side of T6 vertebrae. Biopsy after kyphoplasty (worked great) showed multiple myeloma. I had 25 radiation sessions on spine and no problem for 15 months and then I broke my humerus in multiple places. I am now in fourth month of chemotherapy with Velcade, Revlimid, and dexamethasone. Chemotherapy is not bad but I have usual tingling pain. Oncologist wants to do autologous SCT (stem cell transplant). I wonder if side effects may be worse than the benefits!