Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience

Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.

What is Lyme disease? What causes Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is a bacterial illness caused by a bacterium called a "spirochete." In the United States, the actual name of the bacterium is Borrelia burgdorferi. In Europe, the bacteria Borrelia afzelii and Borrelia garinii also cause Lyme disease. Certain ticks frequently found on deer from various locations harbor the bacterium in their stomachs. Lyme disease is spread by these ticks when they bite the skin, which permits the bacterium to infect the body. So Lyme disease is a tick-borne disease. Lyme disease is not contagious from an affected person to someone else. Lyme disease can cause abnormalities in the skin, joints, heart, and nervous system.

Return to Lyme Disease

Comment from: klrva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I found a tick on the back of my leg about 2 weeks ago and thought nothing of it. It was red in the area but there was no bull's eye rash. Four days later I had severe viral symptoms; headache, fever, body aches, and sore throat. I then woke up to tingling numb fingers and severe hand pain that has increased daily. Today I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and started on antibiotics for Lyme. The test results are not in yet. My knee is also swollen and there is excess fluid in it. I think the carpal tunnel is a direct reaction to the tick bite.

Comment from: Peter J, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

My case of Lyme disease was not diagnosed for 5 weeks. I saw three different doctors before being sent to hospital where it took another 5 days to diagnose. I had Bell's palsy, was unsteady on my feet, had loss of feeling around my nose and mouth and got extreme fatigue. After four years my only remaining symptoms are slight numbness and the fatigue. The nerve endings have taken a long time to recover.