Lyme Disease - Share Your Experience

Did you or someone you know have Lyme disease? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is Lyme disease? What causes Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is a bacterial illness caused by a bacterium called a "spirochete." In the United States, the actual name of the bacterium is Borrelia burgdorferi. In Europe, another bacterium, Borrelia afzelii, also causes Lyme disease. Certain ticks found on deer harbor the bacterium in their stomachs. Lyme disease is spread by these ticks when they bite the skin, which permits the bacterium to infect the body. Lyme disease is not contagious from an affected person to someone else. Lyme disease can cause abnormalities in the skin, joints, heart, and nervous system.

Return to Lyme Disease

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

In July 2013 I had a fever for 3 weeks along with a headache daily before I decided to go to the doctor. They thought it was my liver, they tested for everything. y the time they found that it was Lyme disease, it was too late after the antibiotics, I now haft to take pills for the rest of my life. I want to just cut my legs off above my knees just to get away from the pain in my knees. My pills have stopped working again, I don't know where I go from here.

Comment from: Jenna, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 06

Two years ago my husband, then 39, started getting severe headaches, then fatigue and eventually tremors and severe body pains. Eventually we found a doctor that treated him with doxycycline for 3 months. He got somewhat better but not 100%. Two months later my 15 year old started raging and having severe headaches, light sensitivity and body pain. It took 4 months and several doctors to finally get him treatment. He's been getting treatment for 5 months and can still not go to school full time. Recently, my husband started treatment with a new doctor and appears to be having a nervous breakdown.

Stay Informed!