Kidney Cancer - Follow-up Care

What type of follow-up care have you, a friend, or relative received for kidney cancer?

Please select the black triangle:

You'll need regular checkups (such as every 6 months) after treatment for kidney cancer. Checkups help ensure that any changes in your health are noted and treated if needed.

Kidney cancer may come back after treatment. Your doctor will check for return of cancer. Checkups may include blood tests, a chest x-ray, CT scans, or an ultrasound.

Return to Kidney Cancer

Comment from: Roy1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I was given 6 months to 2 years after finding out I had clear cell renal cell carcinoma for the last 3 years. I am on Votrient.

Comment from: NikkiTickie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 41 years old mother of 3 and grandmother to 1. I was admitted into the hospital in the early part of April this year for unexplained excruciating pain in my abdomen. After an ultrasound the doctors found an obstruction in my small bowels and noticed a mass on my right kidney. A urologist was then brought in to view who ordered a CAT scan with contrast that confirmed a tumor about 7 cm. Things went pretty quick for me after that as far as next steps. After consulting with my personal doctor and the urologist along with my personal research and support from my family, especially with the thought of the tumor possibly being cancerous, I agreed to have the kidney removed. It was later confirmed by pathology to be in the low stage of cancer (T1b). I am thankful every day for that unknown stomach issue because even after the scan was done it was never discovered what the obstruction was. It cleared up after having nasogastric intubation for about 24 hours and no longer showed during the CAT scan. I would have not known I had that disease growing inside of me until it was probably too late. I just feel so lucky that it was discovered early and taken out of me to prevent spreading and any further harm.