Kidney Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your kidney cancer diagnosed?

Please select the black square:

How is kidney cancer diagnosed?

If you have symptoms that suggest kidney cancer, your doctor will try to find out what's causing the problems.

You may have a physical exam. Also, you may have one or more of the following tests:

• Urine tests: The lab checks your urine for blood and other signs of disease.
  • Blood tests: The lab checks your blood for several substances, such as creatinine. A high level of creatinine may mean the kidneys aren't doing their job.
  • Ultrasound: An ultrasound device uses sound waves that can't be heard by humans. The sound waves make a pattern of echoes as they bounce off organs inside your abdomen. The echoes create a picture of your kidney and nearby tissues. The picture can show a kidney tumor.
  • CT scan: An x-ray machine linked to a computer takes a series of detailed pictures of your abdomen. You may receive an injection of contrast material so your urinary tract and lymph nodes show up clearly in the pictures. The CT scan can show cancer in the kidneys, lymph nodes, or elsewhere in the abdomen.
  • MRI: A large machine with a strong magnet linked to a computer is used to make detailed pictures of your urinary tract and lymph nodes. You may receive an injection of contrast material. MRI can show cancer in your kidneys, lymph nodes, or other tissues in the abdomen.
  • IVP: You'll receive an injection of dye into a vein in your arm. The dye travels through the body and collects in your kidneys. The dye makes them show up on x-rays. A series of x-rays then tracks the dye as it moves through your kidneys to your ureters and bladder. The x-rays can show a kidney tumor or other problems. (IVP is not used as commonly as CT or MRI for the detection of kidney cancer.)
  • Biopsy: The removal of tissue to look for cancer cells is a biopsy. In some cases, your doctor will do a biopsy to diagnose kidney cancer. Your doctor inserts a thin needle through your skin into the kidney to remove a small sample of tissue. Your doctor may use ultrasound or a CT scan to guide the needle. A pathologist uses a microscope to check for cancer cells in the tissue.
  • Surgery: After surgery to remove part or all of a kidney tumor, a pathologist can make the final diagnosis by checking the tissue under a microscope for cancer cells.
Return to Kidney Cancer

Comment from: SASA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My mother died of ovarian cancer and since that time I have had a routine check/scan to make sure I have not developed this. Two weeks ago I had this year's check. I did not hear from the doctor so assumed all was well. Something was nagging at me and I called the doctor. I was told the scan had not been looked at! They called me back to see the doctor that day. The report had shown that the scan had detected a 1.5 cm lesion on my left kidney. I had a CAT scan yesterday and it came back as probably being cancer, though I shall find out when I see the specialist. I am in a state of a dream and can't believe it. I am a vegetarian, normal weight, healthy, and have no symptoms. I am hoping to sort this out with diet rather than surgery. I have been put in a position of having to walk my talk, and it is very scary.

Comment from: Murray, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I had a kidney stone which was stuck in the ureter near the bladder. It was removed by using what was called a cage. After the procedure the urologist mentioned the right kidney (same side as stone) has some pus around it. During the next few weeks there was blood in my urine. I was admitted to hospital emergency when the urine couldn't exit and it turned out to be septicemia. During scans and tests it was found the right kidney had a tumor. This was taken out using the da Vinci robot method by a wonderful surgeon. I recovered well and lost around 20 kg weight by eating smaller meals and walking around 8 km every day (unless raining) The doctor said I was lucky to survive the septicemia and without the kidney stone I may have died from a cancer which gave no pain at all.