Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black square:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes referred to as a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm a 73 year old male, suddenly noticed my left leg calf slightly swollen, warm and aching. My general physician sent me to Accident and Emergency, they did blood tests and an ultra-scan and said the good news is it isn't deep vein thrombosis, it's a ruptured Baker's cyst. Never even knew I had one and strangely I have very little pain, just an occasional slight ache, though the leg and foot are swollen from the knee down. I don't understand why there's no pain as ruptured Baker's cysts usually very painful, and why I didn't notice the cyst, sometimes they form under the knee joint. I was told the fluid will get reabsorbed and swelling will subside, just give it time. Hm. If you've bad pain with yours demand the cyst is drained of remaining fluid and demand a cortisone injection so you can get on with your life. Good luck.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been a runner all my life. Unfortunately, I believe my knee problem (torn meniscus) is an after affect which led to surgery and to a Baker's cyst the size of a golf ball in my right knee. A year after my surgery my knee pain came back and now I have a stress fracture with another Baker's cyst! Apparently the knee injury is the cause of the cyst forming. I'm unable to work, my health insurance has been cancelled and now I'm going into a deep depression. The only advice I can give is to runners. Think of other ways to work out! The runner's high is not worth it! The pain is horrible and there is no light at the end of the tunnel (not that I can see). Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the truth.