Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: gsr60, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total left knee replacement 5 years ago. I have had soreness and stiffness with the changes of weather conditions since the surgery. In the past couple months I have noticed swelling on the back of my left knee. My Doc told me it was a Baker's cyst, fluid buildup much like bursitis. I am concerned about the excess pressure on my knee replacement.

Comment from: SOLDIER-T2489, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I was in basic training running, and no injury took place. When I got a sharp pain in my knee I just thought it was because I wasn"t a long distance runner, since I wrestled and played basketball in high school. The next day I couldn"t get out of my bunk. I was told that I had a stress fracture. Then a year later the pain just got worse, so I got an MRI. There was no stress fracture but I was told I had a Baker's cyst. Then another six months went with therapy but no improvement; it actually got worse. Last month I started getting shock therapy on my quadriceps because I"ve been dealing with the pain for so long it became extremely weak. As my therapist put it "your quadriceps are as weak as a baby"s the first time it learns to walk". I can barely squat or walk even 100 m without having to stop. Another MRI was done this month and the cyst is nowhere to be found but the pain has gotten so much worse it has moved to my ankle with a loud clicking when I strike a surface and all the way up to my hip. The pain is bad, I have a burning feeling also in the pelvic area on that side. I don"t know what else to do, I need advice because the doctors I deal with are not helping.

Stay Informed!