Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes referred to as a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I recently just had my 2nd Baker's cyst rupture in my left leg. The first one was 10 months ago. The pain is excruciating and exhausting. I was bed ridden for 3 days where I couldn't move any part of my leg without screaming in pain. I was told to rest and take ibuprofen which did absolutely nothing for the pain. It has been a week and a half now and I am finally able to walk with slight cramping feelings in my leg. It still gets red and swollen when I stand on it and my left ankle is twice the size of my right one. Last time it took almost a month before I was back to normal. I just wanted to let people know about how it feels because the extreme pain and how scared I was thinking I had been misdiagnosed even after having an ultrasound/x-ray for possible blood clot. The doctors I have seen don't seem to know much about them, how painful they actually are, or what to do for them when they rupture, except rest and ibuprofen. There has to be something they can do to prevent them; people shouldn't have to deal with pain like this for something that seems so simple.

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm a 73 year old male, suddenly noticed my left leg calf slightly swollen, warm and aching. My general physician sent me to Accident and Emergency, they did blood tests and an ultra-scan and said the good news is it isn't deep vein thrombosis, it's a ruptured Baker's cyst. Never even knew I had one and strangely I have very little pain, just an occasional slight ache, though the leg and foot are swollen from the knee down. I don't understand why there's no pain as ruptured Baker's cysts usually very painful, and why I didn't notice the cyst, sometimes they form under the knee joint. I was told the fluid will get reabsorbed and swelling will subside, just give it time. Hm. If you've bad pain with yours demand the cyst is drained of remaining fluid and demand a cortisone injection so you can get on with your life. Good luck.