Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Jack48, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

In July of 2014 I was walking and felt like a charley horse in the back of my left thigh. The next day my whole leg was swollen and the pain was unreal. When I got up from sitting I could not walk right away, I had to hold on to something and put pressure on my leg before moving or I would fall. I also started to receive nerve pain in my thighs and knees. Now if I sit on a hard chair for any length of time my left leg from the knee down to my foot feels like a pin cushion. I recently had an MRI and was told I have a Baker's cyst. I still cannot sit in a hard chair. I have to take the pressure off the back of my left leg even when I am driving. I do feel like I have nerve damage.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Around 3 years ago, I developed a Baker's cyst the size of a quarter from stressing my knee too much on my recumbent bike. I had never heard of one before, and since then I was careful not to pedal with a lot of tension. One afternoon I was outside and I had a strong cramp like feeling from the back of my knee down into the calf. It was painful enough to get my attention. The next day I was standing in my kitchen when I had this sensation of something running down my leg. It was so real a feeling that I actually looked and felt my calf. I had read somewhere that when a Baker's cyst bursts, it gives the sensation of something running down the leg and it was from that I thought my cyst had burst. I noticed my knee was swollen too. I tried to palpate for it and couldn't find it, so the true test to know if it was gone was to ride my bike hard to see if it swelled up like it usually did. It did not, so I assume it burst. A week later, my calf is still sore right where I felt that feeling of something running down my calf.