Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black square:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: OmaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had an 8 cm Baker's cyst in my right knee that ruptured and oozed into my calf last December. It was by far the worst pain ever! I also had blood clots from the site and have been taking warfarin since. I had a total knee replacement (TKR) which would supposedly fix it in early March, but after recovering from it, I now feel like that cyst is back. Impossible? No fluid anymore? I don"t know, but that awful pain is back. Physiotherapy has been my salvation with the TKR and hopefully this will pass.

Comment from: immobile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am a very active 45 year old female. A week ago, I was entertaining an out of town guest and I began to have extreme pain and swelling in my right lower leg. I took oxycodone I had on hand for back pain and then when she left, I went to urgent care. Long story short, in a week, I have seen several doctors and had several tests, all to learn I have a Baker"s cyst. The pain is unbearable and I can barely walk or drive. My cyst is 7 inches long, extending down the back of my calf. It is too close to major arteries to drain and surgery is not an option according to two orthopedic surgeons, so I get to wrap, elevate and suffer. Not fun. Please tell me it will go away soon!