Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Jo Hoffman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

My knee pain started 4 or 5 months ago. They did x-ray first said no arthritis. They did MRI which showed swelling in my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and a Baker cyst. I was sent to a knee specialist, who told me he could do nothing. I can barely bend and stand. Sitting or standing for more than 20 minutes is so painful. I do ice it every night. It is awful to be 44 and limited to what I can do. I love to hike, bike and kayak. I have been diabetic for 9 years and since moving to Florida over a year ago I have lost 18 lb. and now this knee is slowing me down. I don't understand with all the technology we can't do anything. The orthopedic doctor wouldn't even drain it. He says surgery is too risky. Really the swelling and pain are going up my leg and makes the top of my foot numb. This is awful!

Comment from: A DEBBA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I suffered from a lot of knee pain and after a while I felt the back of my knee crack. The pain was terrible and the doctor told me I had Baker's cyst. The best exercise I am doing is swimming in a heated pool. The pain is still there but not so bad as it was.