Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the white circle:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes referred to as a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: pollymidwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Following a holiday abroad, upon arriving home my right leg was aching and restless. The following morning I had symptoms of swelling in my calf, redness, and severe pain. After seeking help via general practitioner I had a scan which confirmed a Baker's cyst which had ruptured. It was very painful but I am glad a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was ruled out. I now have to take it day by day to recover. I work shifts of 12 1/2 hours long, so understand the importance of resting, taking regular anti-inflammatory medicines and letting it heal. I will seek further medical advice if the symptoms worsen or continue. Not a condition to be ignored but urgent attention just in case it is a DVT.

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I had severe pain in my legs. I saw a doctor who referred me to a hospital. I had ultrasound to discover I had 5 ruptured Baker's cysts! All this happened in one week. I am still trying to walk and exercise, it looks like slow recovery. The doctor said to have 5 was unique, especially as all had ruptured.