Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a bilateral knee replacement 18 months ago. Left knee now has a Baker's cyst that has been drained 2 time, first time 28 cc and second time 46 cc. It filled back up that same day and pain is right back.

Comment from: Jady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I got my Baker's cyst drained. I had been house bound for years, in agony and told constantly there is nothing that can be done. At a recent doctor's appointment, I was in agony, sobbing and crying out in pain. I was offered the steroid injection but insisted he try to drain the cyst. Very reluctantly he asked the nurse to get a 50 ml syringe, and he very quickly asked for another syringe, then another. He stopped after draining 130 ml of fluid. Wow, I actually got off hospital bed unaided and walked without my crutches. It is early days, still a little sore, but slept without severe pain for the first time in years. Good luck.