Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes called a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Hopeless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had a Baker's cyst for 5 months. I have been dismissed by 2 surgeons and have gone to the hospital to get some help. I am finally going to see a surgeon and I am hoping that after all this he will agree to take them out. I have 2 that are tunneled together, and they have tried to drain, however it filled right back up. The pain is incredible. I am a cashier and I worked for months with the pain. I have seen so many doctors and specialists and nobody wants to help me. Not something I have asked for. I really just want some help, so I can go back to work.

Comment from: Sapirod, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I fell and overstretched my knee. I had immediate pain in the back of the calf. Doctor did x-ray, determined that I had a Baker's cyst, and then sent me to physical therapy with a knee brace. Four months later, I requested an MRI and they found that the cyst had ruptured and drained into my lower calf. The doctor then drained it but as it had been in the calf for so long, did not say that it would stop it. Four months of pain could have been avoided with the MRI and I had insurance to cover it. I was not happy.