Baker Cyst - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Baker cyst.

Please select the black square:

What is a Baker cyst?

A Baker cyst is swelling caused by fluid from the knee joint protruding to the back of the knee. The back of the knee is also referred to as the popliteal area of the knee. A Baker cyst is sometimes referred to as a popliteal cyst. When an excess of knee joint fluid is compressed by the body weight between the bones of the knee joint, it can become trapped and separate from the joint to form the fluid-filled sac of a Baker cyst. The name of the cyst is in memory of the physician who originally described the condition, the British surgeon William Morrant Baker (1839-1896).

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have been a runner all my life. Unfortunately, I believe my knee problem (torn meniscus) is an after affect which led to surgery and to a Baker's cyst the size of a golf ball in my right knee. A year after my surgery my knee pain came back and now I have a stress fracture with another Baker's cyst! Apparently the knee injury is the cause of the cyst forming. I'm unable to work, my health insurance has been cancelled and now I'm going into a deep depression. The only advice I can give is to runners. Think of other ways to work out! The runner's high is not worth it! The pain is horrible and there is no light at the end of the tunnel (not that I can see). Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but this is the truth.

Comment from: Nick, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I tore my antrior cruciate ligament (ACL), walked on it for 8 months, and formed a Baker's cyst. Even after ACL reconstruction surgery a year and 3 months later, I still have the Baker's cyst. I was told it goes away with rest, ice, elevation, and not having an injured ligament, but it is still the same size, and prevents me from sitting on my knee, and gives some knee instability (because its pushing on my ligaments). At age 21, it's frustrating to not be able to do many things the majority of others at this age can do, but I suppose things can happen at any age! For other young people out there, don't wait for an injury to cause more problems. Just get it taken care of as soon as possible (but don't run to doctors either, they will not help you as much as you think).