Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors

Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.

Who is at risk for hypoglycemia?

While people who do not have any metabolic problems can complain of symptoms suggestive of low blood sugar, true hypoglycemia usually occurs in people being treated for diabetes (type 1 and type 2). Individuals with pre-diabetes who have insulin resistance can also have low blood sugars on occasion if their high circulating insulin levels are further challenged by a prolonged period of fasting. There are other rare causes for hypoglycemia, such as insulin producing tumors (insulinomas) and certain medications. These uncommon causes of hypoglycemia will not be discussed in this article, which will primarily focus on the hypoglycemia occurring with diabetes mellitus and its treatment.

Despite our advances in the treatment of diabetes, hypoglycemic episodes are often the limiting factor in achieving optimal blood sugar control, because many medications that are effective in treating diabetes carry the risk of lowering the blood sugar level too much, causing symptoms of hypoglycemia. In large scale studies looking at tight control in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, low blood sugars occurred more often in the patients who were managed most intensively. This is important for patients and physicians to recognize, especially as the goal for treating patients with diabetes become tighter blood sugar control.

Return to Hypoglycemia

Comment from: timbo34, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I went to see my doctor a few months ago and she told me that I have diabetes. She referred me to a nutritionist to help me with foods that i can and cannot eat. I have trouble with my vision sometimes even though i eat between meals. I would drink 1 or 2 glasses a day of water, maybe even more if it is hot outside.