Hodgkin's Lymphoma - Share your Experience

Do you, a friend, or relative have Hodgkin's? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Hodgkin lymphoma starts in the lymph system, usually in a lymph node. The disease may be found because of a swollen lymph node in the neck, chest, or other areas.

The disease begins when a lymphocyte (almost always a B cell) becomes abnormal. The abnormal cell divides to make copies of itself. The copies keep dividing, making more abnormal cells that build up.

When white blood cells collect around the abnormal cells, the lymph node that contains abnormal cells becomes swollen. Abnormal cells may spread through the lymph vessels or blood vessels to other parts of the body.

Although normal cells die when they get old or damaged, abnormal cells don't die. Also unlike normal cells, abnormal cells can't help the body fight infections.

Return to Hodgkin's Disease

Comment from: jackie, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My daughter is currently being treated for Hodgkin's with BEACOPP escalated dose every 3 weeks for 6 cycles then PET scan to hopefully avoid radiation. After 2 cycles she was PET negative so we are very excited that the chemotherapy is working. It's hard to see such a beautiful young girl manage her life while on this treatment, it's a long journey. We are relieved to know Hodgkin's disease is treatable and curable but it's very hard and before the treatment it was so devastating for us to watch her visit doctor after doctor to finally be told she has cancer, what a shock, so glad we are now on the road to recovery.

Comment from: Nigel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

My wife had Hodgkin's Lymphoma when she was 16, I was 17 then. She had her spleen removed and had 6 months of intense radiotherapy from nose to knees. I was then diagnosed with Hodgkin's 10 years later, my spleen was removed and I too had 6 months radiotherapy, had a recurrence after 5 years on, so was given 6 months chemotherapy. I am now 55 years old, and we are both alive and well with three lovely children; I mention them because it was said that we would probably not be able to have children due to our past treatment. It has not been plain sailing as both have had medical issues due to the radiotherapy treatment and both ending up with hormone replacement problems after treatment, but very happy and grateful for our present extended lives.