Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis

Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?

How is hyperkalemia diagnosed?

Blood is withdrawn from a vein (like other blood tests). The potassium concentration of the blood is determined in the laboratory. If hyperkalemia is suspected, an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is often performed, since the ECG may show changes typical for hyperkalemia in moderate to severe cases. The ECG will also be able to identify cardiac arrhythmias that result from hyperkalemia.

Return to Hyperkalemia (High Blood Potassium)

Comment from: Este, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My father died from hyperkalemia. He had only been taking Aldactone for two weeks. His kidneys shut down, his potassium spiked, and his heart could not contract. He was no pulse and had electrical activity. He was resuscitated, only to die again two weeks later. The cardiologist insisted that my father was only dehydrated and needed to drink fluids. Had I been informed of the risks and dangers, I would have been very vocal and vigilant in having him tested regularly. He collapsed in the doctor's office. The labs had just come back. It was too late. I take beta blockers and Norvasc, am only 46, not over weight, but have had very stressful life. Now I am concerned about developing hyperkalemia. I plan to get tested next week! This condition is preventable!

Comment from: researcher 99, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Immense thanks for your website and information on hyperkalemia. My own doctor here in Canada says absolutely nothing about this condition except that a 5.7 blood test result for potassium is beginning to be of concern. When asked about causes, treatment, etc., I get nothing except to go on a low potassium diet. Your information, which I am trusting to be accurate and current has helped tremendously! Thank you.