Hyperkalemia - Diagnosis

Was your doctor able to quickly diagnose your hyperkalemia, or was it difficult to hone in on the disorder?

Please select the black triangle:

How is hyperkalemia diagnosed?

Blood is withdrawn from a vein (like other blood tests). The potassium concentration of the blood is determined in the laboratory. If hyperkalemia is suspected, an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is often performed, since the ECG may show changes typical for hyperkalemia in moderate to severe cases. The ECG will also be able to identify cardiac arrhythmias that result from hyperkalemia.

Return to Hyperkalemia (High Blood Potassium)

Comment from: jimbadneck04, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with torticollis. I take alprazolam for it. The Botox does nothing, can't stretch it. If I go to sleep for 2 minutes it goes away till I wake up. I have had it so long that the area on the left side of my neck to the top side over my ear is always tender. I would do anything to get rid of it. If anyone knows of an electronic hat that would disrupt my brain to allow the spasm to be interrupted, I would gladly be a test patient.

Comment from: elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have been using Istalol eye drops for glaucoma. I have loss of energy, insomnia, queasy tummy, and mild diarrhea.