GERD - Treatment

What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?

Please select the black triangle:

How is GERD treated?

One of the simplest treatments for GERD is referred to as life-style changes, a combination of several changes in habit, particularly related to eating.

Return to Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

Comment from: flower power, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had GERD for many, many years, and it keeps getting worse with time. I take the medication misoprostol plus Prilosec twice daily. I was instructed by my doctor to eat six hours before bedtime to allow digestion, and mine is very slow. I will see if this helps. I avoid chocolate, fresh fruits (for evening meals), vinegar, and spices, especially cinnamon. I drink only herbal tea with lemon, use only sorbets for dessert, and eat small meals.

Comment from: Fiona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

For GERD, I have been on cimetidine for years. I was put on lansoprazole which brought me out in rash. I am back on cimetidine now that doesn't work and all other medications make my skin itchy. Only thing am taking just now is Gaviscon advanced. I have got appointment to see consultant on 16th February. I had endoscopy in 2009. The general physician doesn't know anything else to give me.