Esophageal Cancer - Doctors & Second Opinion

How did you go about getting a second opinion for your esophageal cancer?

Please select the white circle:

What kinds of doctors treat esophageal cancer?

Esophageal cancer is a condition that requires surgical. In addition to the general surgeon, there are many other types of physicians who may contribute to care. Gastroenterologists may be involved in diagnosing, treating, and monitoring the disease. Oncologists make treatment plans that include chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Radiation is administered by a radiation oncologist.

Should the cancer become untreatable or symptom control be needed, palliative care specialists may be involved to help improve quality of life.

Return to Esophageal Cancer

Comment from: crystalbay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

In 2010, an endoscopy found a 2cm tumor at the junction of my esophagus and stomach (adenocarcinoma) and I was scheduled for the Ivor Lewis surgery 2 weeks later. A friend insisted that I get a second opinion at Mayo in MN. This saved my life because only there was the exacting endoscopic ultrasound done. My PET had shown no lymph node involvement, but the EUS found a tiny hot node on my stomach. As a result, weeks of chemo and radiation were ordered prior to the surgery. I spent nearly four months in the hospital on a feeding tube following the surgery, but eventually recovered. Other than being a tiny size zero as a result, I've had 8 clean PET scans and am now 3 years out.